Sign in to follow this  
SarahYF1985

Trying to Figure out how to do a double outline?

Anyone have any advice on how to do a double outline on Illustrator? I have tried outlining it, and offsetting path, but I can't seem to get it right. Or even if anyone knows the font that would be even better! I have found a couple on whatthefont, but I don't want to buy them if they aren't exact. Thanks so much in advance for any advice!

post-86932-0-03378500-1403676452_thumb.p

OK, so I figured out how to do the double outlines, however now there are extra anchor points, and if I delete some of them, it messes up my numbers. I will attach the file, and if anyone can give me any ideas on how to fix it that would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Sarah,

You have it right. The only thing that wasn't going right for you was that to see it properly you needed to make the outer two offsets into a compound path. I ungrouped your file and selected the outer two lines and then either select object>compound path>make or use the shortcut command>8 (Cntrl>8 on pc). Offset lines will sometimes have extra nodes in corners etc but the nodes themselves are irrelevant so you don't need to remove them as long as they are in the right place. If you go the route of using a stoke and outlining the stroke you will often get strange things going on so use the path offset that showAndGo said. One other helpful thing is before you offset any paths select the whole set of numbers names or objects and do the Command>8 function to make them a compound shape then illustrator will treat them like one object and any overlap of the offset line will be more what you are looking for. If you just leave it as a group any overlaps will then have to be welded together. This graphic had no overlap so it is a non issue but for future reference...

Also as a side note, your file didn't look correct but it would cut correct and you could just weed out the inner area to create the same in the end. Just harder to see when building things that way but the cutter will cut all the lines.

Numbers w-outline.ai