Sign in to follow this  
Marie925

Coroplast Sign Thickness

Hello! I am new to sign making, and I am just wondering what thickness (mm) coroplast is typically used for signs? What is the durability of different thickness? Obviously I realize the thinner stuff is going to be cheaper, but I want to be sure I get the right product for the application.

I have someone asking me to make some 2'X2's and a 2'X6'. I meet with her on Friday, but I wanted to have an idea of what thickness to suggest. She will be bringing me an example of her older signs so I can probably measure to see what thickness it is and see how satisfied she is with that thickness to make the final call, but any information or experience you can share would be great.

Thank you!

Marie

It comes in 4mm (most common) and 10mm. I think that's the numbers at least but either way the thinner is around 1/4" thick and the thick is around 3/8" thick. All I have ever used is the 4mm but it depends on how ti's mounted and wind loads etc.

What I have seen so far is a PVC frame, and they zip tie it to the frame (for the 2X6 board). Have you used the 4 mm on any larger banners type signs or just on smaller ones? 

Thank you for your quick input!!

Marie

Jay is correct on the sizes and it is also available in a 6mm.  if "zip tied to a frame I think I would add grommets to it

Yep Grommets are the plan. Currently there aren't any, but we plan to add them to the new signs. 

If its not a high wind area 4 mm should be fine. In high wind areas the 10 mm won't pull the grommets out as easily

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it!

I will take a look at her old sign and decide then on which thickness to go with. 4 mm seems to be much more readily available online. Are there any suppliers in South Carolina or Georgia that you buy directly from versus ordering online?

Grimco has a warehouse in Summerville right off I26. They call in their Charleston branch I think it's exit 199A but I haven't been there in a couple years.