wickedstangs

Vector Magic (Desktop)

All,

Do you all recommend the Desktop or just the online version? And what other software do you all use? 

With my new cutter getting here soon :) How is the Graphtec Studio Software?

Thanks

Currently using:

Adobe Suite, Inkscape, SignBlazer

You can download the Graphtec Studio now and try it out.  It is on the Graphtec site.   Its Free

• Like 1

Inkscape is free and with some tweaking of settings can get pretty good trace results.

• Like 2

i have vector magic desktop version and i can honestly say i use inkscape more

I believe Inkscape's Trace Engine smokes 'em all.

...and it's FREE !

• Like 2

I've used vector magic,illy, and inkscape. Inkscape works just as well as the others and it's free. Just keep in mind that no matter what program you use the end result will still need some node editing. Trace programs are great for a starting point but more often than not there are too many nodes and the end result is usually lacking compared to original work.

I only use Signblazer and Zoom in till i see the nodes up close and then i will delete alot of nodes due to there is always way to many

• Like 1

Inkscape's not as cumbersome (for me) as Illustrator.

My New program, VinylMaster, beats 'em both.

• Like 1

Skarekrow i had started out with vinylmaster pro 2.0 and then they stopped supporting it. it was a great program from tracing images as well. Vmp 4.0 is expensive for me...lol

It's pretty cool... I read up on it as best as I could and they did have some issues with the early versions.

They've got those issues all worked out.

I make money with it so the money doesn't bother me. I like to say, "My tools don't cost me, they Pay me".

Hey, it's got a Node Eraser... How cool is that?

• Like 1

If you have Illustrator CS3 you just need to do a little homework and you are good to go. Illustrator is tough to learn at first but well worth learning. There are a bunch of upgraded versions but most everything you need to start with is all there. Once you are opened up in the program use the white selection tool (quick key a) to work with individual nodes. If you need to modify, add, remove nodes there are specific node tools in the node tool (pen tool) array. I don't know exactly the look and feel of CS3 because I have CS5 but you should be able to click and hold on the pen tool and it will show you the other three options which are also accessible by quick keys (the key shortcuts are listed beside each option so you can gradually learn them)

• Like 1

I loved using that program. Might have to see about a demo. to try it out. Yeah i agree with you on the making money. I just do not do enough yet to justify shelling out alot of money...lol.

Oh yeah, Goose... I know How to do it, it mostly feels cumbersome cause it never was my go-to program.

It will absolutely do the job, I just prefer the feel of Inkscape for vector creation.

Now this new software, you've just got to try the node tools, Download the demo and try them.

(tip, they recommend you don't have over 1000 fonts ? directly in windows. I did and had problems

with the font manager. Got that all sorted out and now have about 12,000 well organized fonts,all working fine.)

For starters, (read this in the literature) it doesn't use Belzier curves... a different 'algorithm' I suppose?

The tools just handle better for the type for adjustments I (constantly) need to make.

There are great tools for smoothing, slicing, removing, and even a node eraser.

Haven't gotten too much time in the Cutting departments but there seems plenty of flexibility

in layout and plotter modules. Not a bit of trouble setting up my 2 plotters and cutting my files.

Vm pro has a very useful & complete set of tools.

More to come, I'm sure.

i have vector magic desktop version and i can honestly say i use inkscape more

I'm the opposite - I very rarely trace in anything but Vector Magic.  I bought the desktop version, so maybe I'm just trying to get my money's worth out of it.

I also use Clipping Magic, but unfortunately it's only an online subscription, I can't find a desktop version.  I've been doing a lot of "Fathead" type wall art recently and C.M. does a great job of clipping out the part of the image I want and eliminating everything else, which is good, because I'm sorely lacking in talent when it comes to working with raster based artwork...

Illy CS6 with the pen tool and lots and lots of patience.

IMO nothing beats the human eye and a little bit of skill. If this is a business for you and not a hobby, invest in a good design software like Illustrator or corel. and take some time to learn how to use it.

We all have money invested in our own endeavors, now invest the time in yourself to learn how to use these programs to the best of your abilities and set yourself apart from the rest.

• Like 1

well good news.... I am getting the desktop version for under 100.00 bucks very cool.

I am a student at UOP and been using there subscription.. I email them and I have a 50 credit and a educational discount.    

• Like 1