iamandy

Oralite 5500

Has anyone ever use this recently? Anything special I need to know when working with this material on my Graphtech ce-6000? I know it's very expensive stuff, so was hoping to get some pointers before I waste much!

Why is it better? 

5500 tears very easily which makes weeding very difficult.  You have to weed it out in little pieces.  

5600 has more of a cast vinyl feel to it.   It gives just alittle bit and it'll weed in one piece. 

I've tried 5500, 5600, and 5700.   5600 by far is my favorite.  

I go through a roll of black and white in a month.  

I forgot to add.  It also conforms to a curve better.  

• Like 1

Well, with that said, I'll take the 5600. It seems to beat out the 5500 in every category that matters....

• Like 1

we use it and 3M 680 series for reflective vinyl on vehicles.  It has pretty good conformability and for the most part it seems to last.

Lately we've had to use 3M 680 because of our area, but really the oralite is pretty good stuff.

I just noticed they use it for Projector Screen.  I need to get some.. Anyone every use for that?

Do you all know how they are using it?

post-5398-0-89641700-1404436522_thumb.jp

Sorry the Black got erased. I meant Black Reflective in 24" x 10 yrds. Their prices are pretty high for it also.

They do, $190, for a 24"x10 yard roll. Not a bad price really. The price for reflective from anyone is going to be high, just the way it is. It's a specialized vinyl, not as easy to make, and not as much demand for it as normal vinyl. It does look good though. :)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, VinylM said:

Sorry the Black got erased. I meant Black Reflective in 24" x 10 yrds. Their prices are pretty high for it also.

Looks like they are out of the black 5600 right now - if you look at any quality engineering grade reflective you are going to pay a much higher price for it - the roll of reflective I used to get for my solvent printers was around $1300 a roll = that was a 3m product.

How well does printing on black vinyl work? Seems like that would require some specialized inks to get it to show up well, or at all.

1 minute ago, darcshadow said:

How well does printing on black vinyl work? Seems like that would require some specialized inks to get it to show up well, or at all.

I was just using that vinyl for a comparison of engineering grade quality vinyl and pricing  - but you could with a white or silver ink option in your roland printer :)

16 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

They do, $190, for a 24"x10 yard roll. Not a bad price really. The price for reflective from anyone is going to be high, just the way it is. It's a specialized vinyl, not as easy to make, and not as much demand for it as normal vinyl. It does look good though. :)

Can you share the link for the black possibly? I only see white red and yellow. It is pretty amazing! i have used it a lot and it looks great but have gotten it for much cheaper so that is the only reason i mention its a lot. Im looking for it now just cause I'm placing a big order so figured id throw that in but its too much of a difference to justify.

14 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

I don't print on it. Just cut out and its pretty awesome

Just now, darcshadow said:

I misspoke/typed and looked up 5500. As Dakota said looks like it's currently sold out.

Got ya. Thanks!

21 hours ago, VinylM said:

Can you share the link for the black possibly? I only see white red and yellow. It is pretty amazing! i have used it a lot and it looks great but have gotten it for much cheaper so that is the only reason i mention its a lot. Im looking for it now just cause I'm placing a big order so figured id throw that in but its too much of a difference to justify.

Care to share where you've been getting your much cheaper reflective vinyl with everyone else?

• Like 1

What is anyone using for transfer tape on their reflective?  I've been using RTape Conform 4075 RLA - High Tack and it's great on small decals.  But when you're masking 24" x 60" it's really tough. Switched to a "Big Squeegee" last winter, but it still takes a lot of force to use.  I pushed my workbench all over the shop until I figured out how to secure it.