smendlik

Smoke & Odor of new heat press

I just powered on my new heat press for the first time and once it got over 300 degrees it started to smoke and have an odor.  As I don't have windows in my little workshop I'm hoping this is just because it's new and will stop eventually?

Should I take it to my garage and turn it on for a while to get all the new burnt off?

If it matters, this is the one I bought http://sunie.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=42

I would guess it'll burn off pretty quick. Many parts are coated in light oil to prevent rust during shipping

• Like 1

The Sunie I bought smoked and smelled for about a minute then it was done. Make sure you get some ventilation if your doing a lot of pressing, the little gas off will build up with a large run. FYI

Hope you have some ventilation if it is a tiny shop the heat will cook you right out. I have a 10 x 14 foot office for the moment and i flip mine on in the evenings only. 300deg will turn the room unbearable in about 20 min.  As for the smell it is likely oil and fresh paint curing.

Thanks all figured it was just a coating but wanted to confirm.  We'll see how much it heats up my room.  If it gets too bad I'll bring it upstairs when I have to do long runs.

smendlik

it sounds like what every one told you it is, I had the same issue but didn't worry about unless I saw flames.....which never showed up. the work room I have is 9 by 10, has a window which I cant get to and open. I would like to tell you if you get into doing just more than vinyl tshirts such as sublimation, or Plastisol transfers where your at 385 to 400 degrees the room will get hot and I mean hello summer in the winter and is the sun getting closer kind of hot. I thought the central air would keep it cool enough I was wrong. So I have a pedestal floor fan, and a couple of those clamp on desk fans positioned in the room. It doesn't affect the heat press at all but it keeps me from busting out in sweat and yelling WATER!!!!!

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up madhatter.  As of right now I plan on doing mugs, bag tags, and cell phone cases and don't expect it will be high volume.  If that changes I'll batch the work the best I can and take the operation upstairs to the garage or dining room.  If push comes to shove I'll buy a small stand alone air conditioner or make big blocks of ice and put them behind some fans.