Trickz72

Considering this

Considering trying to start this... Are they any articles to help teach? I am starting from scratch and zero experience... Kind of scarey.. However I am pretty computer savvy and believe I can figure this out... I don't have a lot of experience with Photoshop ect.. Anything will be appreciated

Download Inkscape for free and learn to work with vector based graphics first. Photoshop is raster based and really for a program Corel draw or issues tractor is a better choice when you move up. But start with Inkscape to get your feet wet

Yes and download free sign blazer and try to understand that and play around with it.  We were all like you at one time and we learned just like you will.  Don't be afraid to search the forum and ask question there is tons of experience on here and everyone seems to pitch in and help...

• Like 2

Hi.

Learn using YouTube tutorials --  the three things you'll really want to check out are "weeding & taping" and "Applying vinyl" and "layering"

Beyond that, here's the link for a no-charge download that you can install and begin using in five minutes.

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198

Considering trying to start this... Are they any articles to help teach? I am starting from scratch and zero experience... Kind of scarey.. However I am pretty computer savvy and believe I can figure this out... I don't have a lot of experience with Photoshop ect.. Anything will be appreciated

Hello and welcome. For the tutorial its called us cutter forum... A lot of people has added answers to most any question you may have. Like was stated download signblazer it is very easy to learn and user friendly. Also inkscape is freeware and there are lessons and videos on here and also on you tube. If an old country boy with only a 9th grade education can learn it you can too. Good reading and good luck.

Well I'm feeling a little froggy just afraid to jump I suppose... Looking at this kit to start with

Vinyl Cutter USCutter MH 34in BUNDLE - Sign Making Kit w/ Design & Cut Software, Supplies + Tools by MH Series http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDQGCTW/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_OKUMtb1ZFH4F5

Any other recommendations? Is this a good, reliable kit? They are great reviews, and awful reviews. Just let me know from your guys experience.

The whole reason I'm wanting to start it his is because I've always liked vinyl decals and signs. If I can get good with this hobby I would like to maybe make a small business, election signs, vehicle decals, small eBay store ect. Are they very much money to be made in this field... This will just be a side job if I persue it..

I greatly appreciate all the feedback from you all since I'm taking a shot in the dark

I would recommend buying just what you need because most that have commented on the kits ended up not using a bunch of the stuff. As for the MH many will argue with me but I had one for 2 weeks and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The SC series cutters seem to be pretty solid based on the reviews but as with anything else the more you pay the better they get.

• Like 2

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jaybird" data-cid="361347" data-time="1402661861"><p>

I would recommend buying just what you need because most that have commented on the kits ended up not using a bunch of the stuff. As for the MH many will argue with me but I had one for 2 weeks and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The SC series cutters seem to be pretty solid based on the reviews but as with anything else the more you pay the better they get.</p></blockquote>

If I start from scratch without a kit what all would I need exactly? Keep in mind I'm 100% new with this... I know vinyl ofcourse, I assume transfer paper/tape?(if that's correct name for it) but no idea what else... Are some vinyls better/easier to work with than others? Preferred brand for the price?

I Just jumped into the pond myself back in December (side business still have a full time job) I am already profitable because of a couple large jobs early on. I am currently using the mh mk2 34" machine and i HATE it. I have wasted a ton of vinyl with it because it doesn't like to track correctly and sometimes the blade doesn't pick up when rewinding to the origin after the cut and and cuts through my entire work. I have already replaced the motherboard (under warranty) was told maybe it got damaged in shipping. I have spent over 6 hours on the phone with support in less than 4 weeks. So i am using it for what i can to save up for the next cutter a titan 2 sounds like it is in my near future. As for all the extras that come with the kit i did that as well, and the greenstar vinyl isn't worth the the backing paper it is on. I have done some test cuts with it but would never sell a product to a customer with it (oracal loyal) and the transfer tape is fine for small projects but for most of what i am doing i find that i end up using my larger roll more times than not but the tape has been good what i have used of it. the other things i got in my kit include banners which are the cheap indoor banners seem to be ok and a cheap squeegee which i have enough of those that work great so it was just tossed off to the side along with the exacto knife which i am sure ill get into someday when mine is worn out but you cant really screw those up. Long story short i recommend buying what you can afford and if things work out save up to buy one of the better machines. Added note i bought mine off ebay from uscutter with free shipping for $299.99 this was not a kit i found on uscutter website.

If I start from scratch without a kit what all would I need exactly? Keep in mind I'm 100% new with this... I know vinyl ofcourse, I assume transfer paper/tape?(if that's correct name for it) but no idea what else... Are some vinyls better/easier to work with than others? Preferred brand for the price?

Yes transfer tape i use 12" med tack for almost everything from signs on wood and aluminum and coroplast to windows and vehicle lettering. and vinyl i use oracal exclusively 631 for interior 651 is my "value" outdoor vinyl good for short term applications outside 751 is my "standard" and then 951 is my "premium" which i will be putting on a boat later this week. Besides that my basic shop stuff 8 ft table, 4 ft t-square, weeding tools, exacto knives, different size and density squeegees, I also picked up off the side of the road for FREE a couple old large windows and i used these to practice apply decals on with all sorts of different methods until i found what worked best for me.

• Like 1

Someone reccomended not getting the MH series kit. Would this SC series be a better option? I am on a budget. But if I buy junk it will just sit there after I get mad at it. So I want to avoid that

USCutter 34-inch Vinyl Cutter Plotter with Stand and SCAL Pro - New Design and Cut Software by Generic http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003D21SK8/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_s7WMtb07TR06Q

Would 34 inch be big enough? I don't plan on doing anything that is 50 inches right now. That's huge! Election signs should be the largest I do... Maybe a full back glass of a truck or something.

Thanks again!

Someone reccomended not getting the MH series kit. Would this SC series be a better option? I am on a budget. But if I buy junk it will just sit there after I get mad at it. So I want to avoid that

USCutter 34-inch Vinyl Cutter Plotter with Stand and SCAL Pro - New Design and Cut Software by Generic http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003D21SK8/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_s7WMtb07TR06Q

Would 34 inch be big enough? I don't plan on doing anything that is 50 inches right now. That's huge! Election signs should be the largest I do... Maybe a full back glass of a truck or something.

Thanks again!

have owned many many cutters and personally I have a 24" - had a 50" but most designs can be done on a 24" as the elements are smaller than that.  I agree steer clear of the mh and go at least with the sc - and on the kit - don't buy just the oracal you need and good paper transfer tape.   your remaining hair will appreciate the choice.   a kit only benefits the seller - if you have only one item in the kit you don't use the remaining stuff becomes more expensive than if you actually only bought the better stuff you will use all of.  once you get your feet wet and realize you want to keep going use the money made from the value cutter to move up to a servo model like the titan2.   much more accurate, quiet, and real usb not emulated so many of those headaches disappear.

Does anyone have any recommendations or references on where to buy the cutter from? Or any references on where to buy the supplies from? I've not had a chance to look at different websites very much yet

Hard to beat uscutter for price. Also free lifetime support.

Thanks again!

That is the same cutter as before just without the kit. Also i am not saying the mh series are not capable of doing good work because i have done quality work with mine it can be done but there are a ton of little quirks with it and i have wasted a ton of vinyl. I purchased the same exact kit as you first posted except from ebay at 299.99 with free shipping. I was lured in by all the extra stuff that comes with it but in all actuality all i use from it is maybe the banner and every once in a while the transfer tape for small little projects. Just my 2 cents but my eyes are locked on a titan 2 but i am going to use this machine to pay for it even if it costs me the extra vinyl. 

A little extra thrown at the cutter will be better money spent than about anything else. I actually talked with the people at USCutter in person and they helped me make an intelligent choice. ANY cutter you buy will come with a learning curve and you may at first be a little upset until you get it figured out. Then you will have a blast and become the life of the party and all your dreams will come true. 

I started out with a 48" P-Cut and only occasionally cut 30" vinyl and only then because it happened to be the size of a specific color I needed that the local supplier only had in stock 30" wide. When I upgraded to a high end cutter I went down to a 30" Rarely do I do any jobs that I even need the 30". (Summa's only come 30" or larger so it was the smallest available).

If you stick with it and have even the smallest ability in you you can make the machine pay for itself without too much trouble. I don't advertise or anything and have work coming out of my ears most of the time. once people figure out you can do it then they come in droves. If you can swing the cost I recommend you also buy at least a cheap 15"x15" heat press so you can do heat transfer vinyl on shirts. You will be glad you did and make even more money.

Wait, you don't live around my home town do you? If so just ignore everything I just said, you really don't want to get into this line of work it's just a money pit. 

• Like 2

yes i have 2 MH Cutters they have done me well for the most part.. they work well if you are not going to cut letters under 3/4 of a inch tall! 

But get what you can afford and get your feet wet you can always upgrade cutters and software as you get better and get more clients and more projects

I used Inkscape for 2 years before i got Corel Draw off of ebay for $50 .. well i don't agree to use sign blazer i hated that program and couldn't never get nothing to work right, i use Sign Cut Pro, and your cutter will come with a free copy for one year i think. or now days i think they come with . Scalp.. well that is not the best program either!  i would defiantly watch a lot of you tube video's if your alraedy computer savy you should fit right in.. Welcome  and good luck!!  from the twin cities MPLS ! 

We started with $500 and a dream and now 4 years later ..  we have A LOT  to show for 

Hello and Welcome. You're getting a lot of good advise from everyone.  About the only thing I can add is about my own experience. 

I bought a used Summa  about 6 years ago off of ebay.  I had a pretty good idea that I didn't want an economy cutter because one of the guys I worked with bought one and had nothing but trouble with it.  That's what got me searching for a better one.  

When my cuter arrived I didn't have any vinyl so I headed to Home Depot for a roll of adhesive backed shelf paper.  I used that to practice with until I could run up to the local vinyl and sign supplier. 

Once at the sign supplier I picked up my vinyl, squeegees and application tape.

So what I'm getting at is to buy the best cutter you can with the budget you have.  The vinyl, app tape and weeding tools you can pick up as you need them.  Some of the weeding tools you might already have around the house, a pair of tweezers, some long pins and a credit card to use as a squeegee.

Others have mentioned that you can download sign blazer for your cutting software.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

On June 13, 2014 at 5:44 AM, jrileygraphics said:

Yes transfer tape i use 12" med tack for almost everything from signs on wood and aluminum and coroplast to windows and vehicle lettering. and vinyl i use oracal exclusively 631 for interior 651 is my "value" outdoor vinyl good for short term applications outside 751 is my "standard" and then 951 is my "premium" which i will be putting on a boat later this week. Besides that my basic shop stuff 8 ft table, 4 ft t-square, weeding tools, exacto knives, different size and density squeegees, I also picked up off the side of the road for FREE a couple old large windows and i used these to practice apply decals on with all sorts of different methods until i found what worked best for me.

What would you recommend if I am sending 951 decals (for kayak) so the person can apply themselves? I haven't done decals for watercraft before and not sure if there is a special kind of transfer tape and special instructions I should be sending with? (I use mostly 631 on wood and indoor walls, no experience with 951. Thanks for any tips you have! 

you should be good with regular tape. I would use R-Tape 4075 personally but most will work fine. 951 is super awesome to cut and installs great so you just need a good paper tape to hold onto it. Easier by far than your 631. HT55 that you probably use with the 631 will also work. I have a roll and have used it off and on with 751 without issues.