tooler82

Infrared Vinyl

I have a strange request for all of you. I've been looking but can't find anything. My Colonel wants to know if there's a vinyl that will glow under night vision so we can mark tanks where they can tell who's next to them at night with their night vision goggles on. Any ideas?

Wouldn't reflective do that as long as there was at least a tiny bit of ambient light? Would think it would focus enough light for the night vision to pick up on it unless you want something that isn't so easily seen by everybody else too.

Night vision has a little IR light you can turn on and the reflective does glow, but that light has to be close to it. Might have to just test it if I can't find anything made for this.

Were the IR flags worn on my uniform in Iraq a type of vinyl?  Never really paid that much attention to them back then.

I don't know if they're a type of vinyl or just some type of polymer.

I just had this situation come up with a neighbor. 

She organizes a fundrasier Called "Dinning in the Dark" to raise money for the blind. 

The Dinner is served in COMPLETE darkness.  Your servers are the county swat team wearing night vision goggles. 

We tried using black reflective vinyl for the place card so swat knew if you wanted chicken or beef. 

Well come to find out infrared is OLD technology.  

They could switch on an infrared mode on the goggles and you could see light reflect back but couldn't make out if it's a C or a B because of the glare.

BUT they don't use this mode anymore.  They have some new technology that reflective vinyl won't show up on.  

Don't NVG just work by intensifying the existing light, and therefor would be of no use in a totaly blacked out room? The IR "lamp" is for such situations the goggles can pick up near IR light and see in the dark. I would suspect the main reason for this method being avoided is that anyone else with NG would see you clear as if you had a flash light on your head.

We still use NVG's. Actually that's one on my helmet in my Avatar haha. PVS-14 and PVS-7B. I don't know what to tell the Colonel. Guess he's just SOL haha.