gcextreme

Competitor noses in

So I was asked to do a website for a local big event. In return for the website I would get a booth for my business and the event council would buy promotional items from me.

Now a larger company butted in and will be there too and the event council is buying stuff from them.

What am I to do now?

What would you do?

I would have had a contract before I did a thing for them

• Like 1

If they are not going to uphold their side of the verbal agreement, send them a bill for the web developement work.

• Like 2

All I have is the original invoice I gave them for the price of the site hosting and domain name and then my design, which was waived in lieu of advertising promotions and them buying shirts and stuff from me as a sponsor.

I'd mark it up as a learning experience and move on.

So I keep paying for the hosting and keep updating their site for free? Even tho I was promised they would buy stuff from me and I would get sponsored advertising?

Thats a possibility.

They emailed me this competitors logo and want it on he website next to mine in the "Sponsors" section.

The day of the event theres vendors and sponsors booths and theres not suppose to be duplicate vendors...

I'd voice my concerns and if they don't agree I'd shut down the site. Seems like you have the leverage in this situation.

So I was asked to do a website for a local big event. In return for the website I would get a booth for my business and the event council would buy promotional items from me.

Now a larger company butted in and will be there too and the event council is buying stuff from them.

What am I to do now?

What would you do?

maybe they misunderstood and thought they only had to buy some from you and not exclusively - you would have to talk to someone to find out though.  communication is key

This is pretty complicated.

A few things are going on here.

One, the administrators of the event have a rule that "there's not supposed to be duplicate vendors" ---  yet this is not being adhered to.

Two, in the general marketplace, anyone can act as a competitor to anyone else. However, you went ahead with this agreement to assist them (bartered with the event coordinators) under the impression that you would have a non-compete situation   (see #1 above)

Three, You don't indicate if they're still going to be buying some stuff from you (or if all their purchases will be from the other guys).

sounds complicated on both sides...obviously they are not holding their end of the agreement but then maybe they are reading into it differently... i would call and voice my concerns, if they dont like it.... take down the website... i would try and work with them but sounds like you got the short end of the straw..

This whole event is unorganized and lacks communication.

I just emailed one of the event council members who had just posted on the Facebook page that there were only 2 vendor spots left. I asked her to make sure that I had a spot. She replied back and said she was unaware I wanted a booth and asked what I would be selling...im like WTF !?!?!

The event is June 28th..and their lack of marketing and planning and organization is really pissing me off!

And yes they were suppose to order Event Staff shirts from me...but they never communicated with me!! Apparently some other council member went off and had the other place make the shirts and they are the main sponsor now!

I hope you are taking notes. A lesson learned the hard way is a lesson well learned.

• Like 4

Well it can be a lesson for them too..all I gotta do is pull the plug on the website. They will come hollering..

• Like 2

Sounds like this website is of marginal (minimal) value to them, and the FACEBOOK presence is the primary focus of advertising the event.

Which is how many businesses are building an internet advertising program --- with twitter and fb.

• Like 2

Its funny you say "them" when its really only one lady trying to promote the event as cheaply as possible.

This event is uner new management but in he past the city chamber of commerce ran the event and it draws over 3K people each year.

Seems like the chamber of commerce needs to go back to running it. I'd pull the site and when they ask I'd say it must be a misunderstanding like our non competing vendors at the event. I've reached a point in my life where if it were me I'd "fire" the customer. I'd pull the site and call it a day and I would not harass them about it but I would be prepared to explain why I backed out.

sounds unorganized.... depending what u think ur sales maybe, i would drop everything i was doing for them and just rent a spot...i find alot of these type of events never pay for themselves for the money u stick into them...

• Like 1

I'd wait til tomorrow around noon. If they don't make it right I'd pull the site.

They've wasted enough of your time. You've invested time and money into it already and they've spent your first payment with another company.

They've now also introduced another company that's going to tank your sales.

Don't wait til it's too late.

I am meeting with the group tonight.

This event is to raise money for a charity. And now they have sponsor ship levels (a $500 level, $1000 level and a $1500+ level) and supposedly the higher the level the more advertising you get.

Well gosh the event is about 3weeks away and so far the only advertising there is are the website and facebook!

I am sure there maybe a radio ad but I highly doubt all the sponsors are gonna get much air time for that.