gcextreme

My first etched mirror

We recently had a fellow biker die, his name was Howard Ogaard, also known as Howie, but mostly known as Santa. He was a hardcore biker, a navy vet, but he was a loving, gentle soul, he was known thru town as Santa, cuz he did the santa gigs at the malls and charity fundraisers. Tons of people knew and loved him.

HowieSanta.gif

Anyway i did a custom etched mirror to give to his wife and son...

Howard's saying was "Remember Everyone Dies, But Not Everyone Lives. Make Some Memories and Share Some Memories. Expect the Unexpected"

20140602_223731_zpsmetp5rhr.jpg

• Like 12

Awesome! Bikers get bad raps, but all of them I know are as tender hearted as they come. There's several clubs in our area. 150+ bikes rolled into the towns that got wiped out by the tornadoes this year. Loaded trucks with toys, food and clothing.

RIP Santa!

Yeah there were over 500 bikers at his funeral. The priest said it was the largest funeral he has ever done...

Howard once showed up in his Santa costume on his Goldwing trike for the Ronald McDonald charity ride...the kids loved it. He told them this is what Santa rides in the summer...lol

Very nice.  What did you use to color in the letters?

Cal

Its sandblasted...its etched no colors...

I could have used "rub 'n buff"to color it but didnt want to.

Nice job. the shadow is why I mostly etch from the back

Its sandblasted...its etched no colors... I could have used "rub 'n buff"to color it but didnt want to.

New to this forum, checking it out while I wait my Titan 2's arrival. Love this project. Would like a little more information on your sandblast technique if you would care to share. Also what is rub and buff? do you use vinyl to mask it off and then sandblast? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. 

I just used oracal 651.

I do have sandblast mask I bought from uscutter but havent used it yet.

For the sand media i just used his black magic stuff..got it in 50lbs bags for $6.

Rub nbuff is a compound u can use to add color. U put it on before u remove the vinyl stencil. Just go to ebay and search for it. I got 10 diff colors for like $35.

Heres my first glass a wine glass and used gold leaf

20140124_152919_zpsadb58d3e.jpg