Sign in to follow this  
VictoryVinyl

before buying a used Graphtec CE5000-60 questions need advice

Need the experienced advice here.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a used CE5000-60, also comes with a Knight swing away digital heat press and some vinyl.  The owner has had it for about 5 years and it was used to primarily to cut names and numbers for sports uniforms.  Asking $800 for the entire package.

Need to know if this sounds like a decent deal?  Anything that I should look closely at on the cutter?  I am still new to all this and was going to wait a bit longer to upgrade the cutter but to me this sounded like a good deal and the heat press was just kind of like an added bonus at this time.

Also, is anyone running one of these with a MAC?  I have both a PC and a MAC but trying to go solely MAC eventually.

Thanks for your help

Bennie

Make sure they do a cut while you are there so you can seen it operate and also wouldn't hurt to see the press come up to temp. Price is super reasonable assuming everything works properly.

• Like 2

I would look at the cutting strip. Although replaceable, if it has gouges and cuts in it, then the machine was probably never set up correctly and the owner probably didnt know what he was doing and how to take care of the equipment. I probably wouldnt let that deter the sale but its something to think about.

Maybe swing by harbor freight and buy an infrared thermometer to test the heat press.

• Like 1

Both are pretty rock solid, but make sure it is working before picking up - depending on the model a jetpress can be had pretty cheap but if the higher end swingers that would be a GREAT deal.  on the cutting strip what said above OR they did multiples and forgot to reset the origin and walked away - don't ask how I know this  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Thanks so much.  I will have to see about seeing it cut.  He had a business and closed it down.  Said he sold all of his screen printing equipment last month and was going to keep this because he still does a lot of coaching and thought it might come in handy but since its just sitting in his garage it is just taking up space.

So deal breaker if I can't see it cut first?

He can do a test cut if he doesnt want to hook it up to a computer. I would be ok with it, if it does the test cut.

• Like 1

At least a test cut or you could very well be buying a paperweight.

• Like 1

I recently drove 80 miles and bought one.

Brought my laptop with SignCut on it.

The CE5000 cut test squares perfect.

Pointed SignCut at it and cut a simple file.

Probably would have still bought it had it only

cut the test squares and not the file I sent it.

But Jaybird's right in that it could have turned out just a giant paperweight.

• Like 1

Ok , so I talked to him again today.  Driving down tomorrow to check it out.  He said everything is still set up, he would give me a quick lesson on the cutter and the heat press plus throw in his old computer w/software.  So as long as it all goes well by this time tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a used CE-5000.

Thank you everyone for your feedback!! And I will update tomorrow night.

• Like 4

OK brought it all home this afternoon.  The cutter, heat press, a very hefty stand, laptop with an old version of Corel and several rolls of HTV and a couple rolls of regular vinyl.  Haven't gotten to go through the vinyl yet to check colors.

I did get to see the cutter in action and got a quick lesson.  I did not get to see the heat press in action but after everything else I feel very confident that they are honest people and believe that it will work as advertised.  Everything was sitting in their garage so it needs cleaned a bit but no big deal.

Thank you all for your advice and tips, I'm sure it is only the beginning of my questions! 

I finally got the heat press plugged in tonight and it to works!

Ordered a new blade for the cutter from Clean Cut Blades thanks this forum.  Will order a new Teflon Cutting Strip this weekend and then hopefully ready to go!! 

Thanks again to all here.

• Like 1

nothing brings happiness quite like a new servo cutter - especially the graphtecs

• Like 1

nothing brings happiness quite like a new servo cutter - especially the graphtecs

I was just thinking today how much I love mine compared to my MH cutter I started with.  

• Like 1