stickzout

USB Malfunction - Device Not Recognized

I recently purchased an SC Series cutter and when I connect the USB to my laptop I get a pop up window which reads: "USB Device Not Recognized; One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

I've tried all the unplugging and restarting tricks to no prevail.  

Please help!

My cutter has a USB connection.  In reality, it is a USB to serial adapter.  It would not work until I installed the driver for the device.  If you open device manager, do you see a device with an explanation point?  If so you need to update the driver for the device.  My cutter came with a disk with the driver.

Otherwise, get another device like Jaydadd101 suggested and use the serial port.

I also needed the FTDI driver:   http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/202/0/01-mac--windows-driver-uscutter-mh-mk1-sc-pcut-laserpoint-and-copam

• Like 1

Install the ftdi drivers to makr the usb work. The value cutters have usb emulator chips not true usb

• Like 1

Thank you all for the responses!

jaydadd101:

Most of my research led me to this same conclusion.  I went to Radio Shack last night, but they were closed.  I am going back today and hopefully they can help me find the right one.  The serial port reads rs-2320.  I assume that is the number of the cord?

dcbevins & dakotagrafx:  Yes.  When I open the device it shows an explanation point and is labeled as an unknown device.  I couldn't open the FTDI driver link you posted tho.

So I just dug up this other thread about the USB and serial cable issues and USCutter support says flat out that the USB to Serial adapters will not work. Like JayDadd101 suggested, they only "carry" Keyspan as they have tested them thoroughly.

I shopped around on USCutter and they sell a USB to Serial RS232 Adapter FTDI Chipset Cable. Immediate issue here, besides being shorter than a toddlers arm, is that it isn't Keyspan?!

They also have these Graphtec 10ft 9-25 Pin Serial RS 232 C Cables.

I should mention that the original USB cord that came with the SC Series cutter did work for a couple of months. However, all along It gave me many warning signs with a number of issues like not responding to the software when trying to send a cut or not finishing a cut it had started.

Any response is greatly appreciated!

You can purchase any RS232 9-pin DB9 cable (male on one end, female on the other), just make sure it's a null-modem type.

The big auction site has several for under $7.

See items #

171346332273    or  121347213132

I noticed over the weekend the forums were having difficulties.  Maybe the main uscutter site was also.  It might be worth trying the download links again, just going to uscutters support page and searching for ftdi.

Here is another link:  http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm.

Just note that on buying a new cabling/usb-serial adapter, those are going to need drivers also.

the graphtec cord is not the right one for your cutter but the keyspan and the link above is the right set up.

if you want to try the ftdi drivers = here are the ones usc has for their cutters - not sure if they are the same as the link above or not but this is what works for everyone that still uses usb

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Support_PDF/USBSetup/SC/SC_USB_WIN7.pdf

Have you tried a different USB cable? Kinds of sounds like it is faulty. I've had problems with other devices that gave the same error message you are seeing and it turned out to be a wiring issue with the device I was working on. A faulting USB cable that may have a nick in one of the wires would cause problems like you are seeing.