Lisak9

Inkscape and color

I am new and i like to ask a question. With Inkscape i understand it is a software to vegtorize pictures. I have several pictures with a lot of color and some of the pictures i have very detailed in them

My main question is how do i get get Inkscape to work with color pictures .Here is a picture i have of what i have been trying to vectorize but does not come out looking good.

Here are 2 pictures that ive been trying to vectorize but not good with Inkscape

If any one can point me in how to do this i would very much appreciate this for a newbie 

post-86671-0-27608900-1401398831_thumb.j

post-86671-0-66855300-1401398838_thumb.j

What end use are you going for? Vinyl? Print? Vectors are just lines and curves that have color fills or color stroke so they are completely different than a picture. You can create a pic/design especially if it's a simple design but it's never going to look like the pics you have. 

If you are trying to get a whole color pic vectored then you may not be happy with the result. In a full color pic there are hundreds of colors and they will be scattered all over the place so you essentially get a pixelated look. Sometimes this is desirable but not very often.

Here is a vectorized version from Illustrator with full color.The svg file was too big to upload.

post-20133-0-28233700-1401400056_thumb.j

Oh crap i didnt see the wreck he had on the front of the car probably be better ofr the other picture.

I am wanting to vectorize the one on the bottom.  I am doing laser etching. Not sandblasting but laser etching. They wanted me to use engravelab but good gosh it takes a act of congress to understand all that it does just to get to what i want and need for right now..

I guess i do not know what i am doing in Inkscape as i have tried severaL other pictures such as the following

I guess i do not know exactly what i am doing in Inkscape as i followed there instructions but still none of my pictures come out good not even decent those pictures are as follows

post-86671-0-69146300-1401402959_thumb.j

post-86671-0-40825200-1401402964_thumb.j

post-86671-0-74930000-1401402969_thumb.j

What instructions were you following? Those 3 images do not look like something tyically associated with Inkscape.

The instructions for Inkscape. There editorial on there web site.  For the pictures i found those pictures on the internet and wanted to vectorize them to etch

I know images like that can be laser etched, but I would be surprised if when something like that is done the image is a vector, or if it is a vector I would guess it's more of a 3D CAD image rather than the 2D vector graphics you get from Inkscape.

Have you found a laser etching forum? If such a forum exist, which I would assume there is one, they would probably be better equiped to help you acheive the results you're after.

Yes they are vectors.

I am wanting to put it on a mirror and a piece of wood. I just can not get Inkscape to work for me for some reason

There are laser etching forums but those that i have found are not active ( dead ) like US Cutter forum is alive

You sure about that? From what I'm finding online it looks like most laser engravers work much like a printer and you simply convert your photo to black and white photo using half tones to achive the varying degrees of gray. What laser etching machine, make/model are you using?

cool setup. Looks like EngraveLab has a section called Photolaswer Automation that "Convert photographs into stunning, detailed laser etched graphics on all the latest materials." Sounds like this would do what you need. I'm not having any luck finding a manual on how to use this though. Might check the helpf file in the software.

There also seems to be a package, PhotoLaser Plus, that does what you're wanting. I can't tell from the web page if this is included in the package you have of if it's additional software you'd have to buy.

Our rotary engraver converts .bmp to a vector automatically when you import it.

Yes Darcshadow Engravedlab does all kinds of things you name it it does it Also does pictures ( photots ) perfectly with very very detailed.. You can go to youtube and type in laser engraved photos and match them with a real person to a photo of a engraved picture and couldnt  hardly tell which is real and which is a picture on wood mirror clothing ..

Yes Engravelab has what i want to vector but im not 100 percent comfortable with it ,as it is more than i will ever ever need

Tyler Smith i have a rotory attachment also to do circular objects

So I'm confused. It sounds like you really don't know how to use Inkscape or Egravelab. Why are you trying to learn inkscape when you don't even know for sure it will do what you what where as Engravelab will do exactly what you want. You don't need to learn all of engravelab, just find the part that does what you need and figure out how to use it. I'm sure there are some howto videos out there some place.

Not learning a small part of something because the thing as a whole is more than you need is like saying my car will go faster than I'll ever need so I'm not going to learn to drive.

The reason i was wanting to re learn Inkscape is because it was some thing i used to use before several years ago about 8 to be exact.

You are right i might just need to learn Engravelab and leave Inkscape totally alone I figured Inkscape is a lot easier to learn as it was before 8 yrs ago Engravelab is like a mountain compaired to a little hill Engravelab has a ton of bells and whisels compaired to Inkscape.

I will just focuse on just Engravelab instead of Inkscape

Thanks to all especially Darcshadow