longballlumber

Hello from MI (Metro Detroit)

Hey gang,

I have never done vinyl cutting before.  I have been trying to read hear and there, but it's a little overwhelming.  Right now my purpose for looking to purchase my own cutter is to supplement my other hobby.  I competitively race RC (radio controlled) boats.  I am not much of a painter, so I would prefer to use vinyl to do my schemes on my boats.

While I haven't picked a cutter yet, I am always looking for a good value.  I don't have a problem spending the money, but I don't want to throw good money after bad.

I am open for suggestions.

I have also attached a couple of pictures that kind of show what type of work I am looking to do.

First picture is my own boat that is painted solid orange with the other items being vinyl that my buddy did for my on a Roland Stika cutter.

Second picture is my buddy's boat (he owns the cutter mentioned above)

Looking forward to your suggestions,

Thanks

Mike

post-86789-0-30731100-1401325886_thumb.j

post-86789-0-06440600-1401326280_thumb.j

Dude those are cool freakin' boats! I think if you can afford to shell out for the titan it will feed full 15" vinyl otherwise you will have to cut down any quality vinyl you buy. It also has way more cutting force which may never matter but very well could should you decide to do some carbon fiber or something. You can probably get some business once you get good enough to start having the sweetest graphics at the races. May take a while to achieve ROI but it's tons of fun and if you look at it like a new hobby it will at least have the potential to pay for itself over time which very few hobbies can offer. 

There are other factors to consider such as cutting is only one piece of the puzzle. Design is another as is install. Design can be handled with Inkscape (free open source vector program) and install on smaller stuff like you are going to start out with won't be too tough but plan on doing things over a few times. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply’s guys.  I was actually eyeing the 15” Titan.  They have one at a small discount as a DEMO/Refurb unit.  I would need to find out what type of warranty they offer for these types of units. 

http://www.uscutter.com/Demo-Refurbished-TITAN-15in-Table-Vinyl-Cutter

So it sounds like the 15" Titan will allow me to buy 15" vinyl rolls and start cutting without the need to alter the vinyl roll width.  That sounds like a good thing.  By going up to a 28" Titan (translates to 24" vinyl rolls), can use 12" or 15" rolls to minimize scrap/waste?

You mentioned something about design software.  I have an older (updated) desktop PC with Windows 7 that can be dedicated to this set  up.  Most of the cutters come with the Sure Cuts Alot software.  I would assume that would be sufficient for the time being to get my feet wet?  Then if I really get pulled into the design aspect, I can update to a Corel Draw or something of that nature??

Thanks for the kind words on the boats...  The orange one is near 36" long and will run in the mid 60's all day long.  They can really haul the mail...  Here is a video from a race last year.  It's tough to see, but my orange boat hits the start and "checks out"  Fun Stuff!

Thanks for all of the help guys.  I know most of this has been posted at one point or another.  It's just difficult to "weed out" all of the other stuff to find the answers I am looking for.

Later,

Mike

For design you will probably be disappointed with your assumption about sure cuts a lot. It sure cuts a lot fine but they didn't name it sure designs a lot. LOL Inkscape is totally free and many here use it exclusively for design. I use Illustrator and many use Corel both of which will cost money. SCALP works as a cutting tool which you will still need so the program isn't a total waste. There are several other cutting utility options out there for a few bucks too. 

Hello and welcome from Florida.  Awesome boat and video.

I'd go with a 15" cutter minimum,  Graphtec makes a nice 15" cutter but pricey.  It's the 40 suffix and the CE6000 is the newest series.  CE2000-40, CE3000-40, CE5000-40 and the CE6000-40.  The 60 suffix is 24" cutter.