Sign in to follow this  
theishkid

CE 6000-60 Noise Problem

I've got a couple of issues going on with my CE6000... the main one is this awful noise coming from the carriage.

I took a video of it as it's the only real way to describe what's going on. It's like the motor is still moving just a little bit. It doesn't do it until after you select the kind of material, and you can't hear it until the fan goes off.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My CE-6000 makes loud noises when i turn it back on if it has been off for a day or two.  It will sound like the carriage is scraping the vinyl, or the carriage is not moving smoothly when it checks width, but nothing is ever out of the ordinary. The noise always goes away after i do a few different jobs.

Mine also makes a lot of noise if you are cutting very slow.  It seems to be pretty normal.  I saw someone post a similar question months ago and that was the consensus. 

I got one of the first machines that came off the line. It's been running strong every night that I've used it for over a year. This has just developed over the past year and a half (almost).

I know what you mean about the noise level, especially when running slow... but this is a new development that just started about two weeks ago. At first it was kind of random when it would happen, now it happens all the time. 

wouldn't hurt to call graphtec  - doesn't it have a 2 yr warranty - would be good to contact before then

Wanted to give an update on this... 

Graphtec has had other people mention my issue, however they said they hadn't heard any as pronounced as mine. The consensus was that I should update the firmware since it was a known issue that had to do with the Gain settings for the Y motor... whatever that means!

The firmware did not help, here is a video taken after the firmware update.

I sent them that video and didn't hear back from them for a week so I made another video found here of the same thing.

Still didn't hear back from them for another week so I sent another email asking what was going on. The responses seemed shorter and they didn't seem to care as much anymore. They told me the sound is normal. However if it's normal then why did I go a year without it ever coming up? And why does it not always come up?

They really only seemed concerned with cut quality... and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with cutting. I'm just worried this thing is going to turn into a paper weight right in the middle of a big job because the motor goes out or something.

The only other thing I was told is that I can send it in to an authorized service center that's 175 miles away and they can take a look at it.

I think it sounds like servo creep. From my RC car days- when the servos would have a very slight amount of electricity they would "creep" or make that sound.

I think that is what it is-trying to find a zero point-or trying to hold a point-- almost like its in between two points in the motor- that's the best I can describe it.- But I'm not sure if its detrimental long term. 

• Like 1

my cutter has growled since 2008...just sitting there. come and go..... never had a problem with it..  Growls a little louder, longer when running sloooow...  on speed 2. 

It has become white noise to me at this point unless I'm thinking about it and then it might as well be a freight train.

VinylMill  how did you upload the firmware?   I downloaded the zip file from Graphtec but was not able to upload through the updater.

VinylMill  how did you upload the firmware?   I downloaded the zip file from Graphtec but was not able to upload through the updater.

There's suppose to be a way to do it from a mac but I couldn't figure it out. 

I just borrowed a PC laptop from work and followed the instructions.

http://www.graphtecamerica.com/graphtec-america-support-downloads-cutting-plotters-ce6000-series

my cutter has growled since 2008...just sitting there. come and go..... never had a problem with it..  Growls a little louder, longer when running sloooow...  on speed 2. 

Does your cutter make that noise when it's sitting still like mine does in the videos? Or just when it's moving?

my cutter makes noises  just sitting there.  Waiting...  or  like after an order is done,  and I have taken the material out and forgot to turn  power off.   It reminds me.. turn me off. 

my cutter makes noises  just sitting there.  Waiting...  or  like after an order is done,  and I have taken the material out and forgot to turn  power off.   It reminds me.. turn me off. 

Did yours do that from day one? Or did it just randomly start up one day?

Did yours do that from day one? Or did it just randomly start up one day?

I always ran my cutter slow,   Speed 2-5 so was always used to the growling.. Like Jay said white noise.. As far as I can remember 6 years ago, it always did it.. I have never thought anything about it,  because it has never given  me any problems. It can be sitting there on idle and I can be at my computer and it can makes noises and quit again all by it's self..and my cutter is a much larger cutter in all aspects of it...  So maybe it even growls louder.  LOL    My cutter is 50" long. and almost 47" H on stand.

• Like 1