Well lost a sale of a banner and sandwich board this week. It was for a family member in-law. Did the board up but not the banner had a feeling it would go south. She wanted me to give her the items so she could take them to a show and if she made money there she would pay us. Told her no way she had almost a month or more to get the money. Told her no way so she got all pissed off and took her business elsewhere. Sad thing is she is taking other business opportunities with her because she helps run the little community group, of businesses. It may work out and burn her in the hindend really though.

What are your thoughts on something like this? Do any of you have a written up policy you would like to share?

Sorry just venting  a bit, never have liked the lady to start with but because she is in-laws i have to tolerate her.

post-19735-0-77930100-1400969400_thumb.j

50% deposit up front, remainder on delivery/ prior to installation on site & getting in writing.

Half up front weeds out the people who can't pay, and once you have half of the money for a sign, they definitely want to get their hands on it so they will produce the remainder on delivery. Or they simply don't get the sign.

We love our family and friends, but they are always the ones that will be the most trouble to work with.

• Like 4

If that booth at the show is "CLOSED" how is she going to be making money?!!

As for the 'community group' ---  I would make an appearance there myself and indicate my willingness to provide signs for anyone who wants them.

• Like 1

If that booth at the show is "CLOSED" how is she going to be making money?!!

As for the 'community group' ---  I would make an appearance there myself and indicate my willingness to provide signs for anyone who wants them.

It has a open sign that hangs over the closed area. lol Knew someone was going to ask that. Never thought of doing that.

My mom always said 'when it comes to business, you have no friends or family.' Good advice 50 years ago,good advice today.

• Like 5

make family pay either buying a 20 yard roll of vinyl aand extra material what they want it on. Pops wants 3 banners 8 ft x 4 well that's 6 banners and 20 yards of 3 color vinyl he go buy. Lol 

• Like 1

Too bad for her, make her pay anyway.  You can't expect things for free.  If you want to give or donate something to a family member, that is your sole discression.  But, don't let them dictate who, what, when you will be doing so.  Also, if she is doing this to you, probably others she would bring would also start doing this to you, especially if she tells them you gave it to her.  I would also speak to the group she is involved in, or just wait.  It seems to me that if she is such a poor business person that she expects other businesses to give her products on such shaky terms, that she won't be a part of that club or whatever it is very long.  If you start doing things such as this, you won't be in business very long either.

• Like 1

Ask them if they could go to walmart and buy a keep out sign and pay walmart later. Imo dont go shopping if you aint got the cash for what your are wanting.

• Like 1

Family is always a no win situation to work for or sell to....i always some how just dont have time works fine for me.

• Like 1

"IF'' she made money, she would pay you?    You were never going to see any money.  Since you were family, she was taking advantage of you.  A good response is ''since you don't want to pay me, and it's going to take me about two hours, you can wash and clean out my truck and we'll call it even''.  And when they look at you with that why would I do that look, just wait and don't say a word.  You'll either get a clean truck, but more then likely it will just save you a lot of headache and they will go away.

• Like 2

its a simple cut situation...i would have told her, these things and supplies cost me money, my time is valuable and not free..and i am not a "non-profit" business...lol.

Every now and then i do something for my mom/dad, brother/sister, and of course my wife, and her brothers, most of the time i do it for free, her family is very generous and they will always pay me, either with money or food,lol.

but anytime i do a shirt for free for my mom or dad or bro and sister, the shirt has to have my logo/name on it somewhere...lol

• Like 2

I started the %50 down on anything over $10-20 in supplies  or %50 down on anyone i don't know at all! 

I have done a lot of work for family and have never had a problem yet!  

• Like 1

I think I must be one of the lucky ones. I try to do free stuff for family and friends all the time and they always force me to take some money. Ha ha! 

I think I must be one of the lucky ones. I try to do free stuff for family and friends all the time and they always force me to take some money. Ha ha! 

I charge family supplies not much more then that! . It all depends how much i have what they want in stock! hehe

I just figure that I make my money on the commercial work I do and the stuff I do for family or friends is usually done with roll ends or scraps that have been paid for by some commercial job. When they want a shirt done they almost always bring in something from wallyworld and I am just doing the design. Probably a state of mind, or mind over matter as the old saying goes. If you don't mind it don't matter. Real businesses are going to make some money so they can pony up. I accept payment from family but usually tell them not to worry about it and 9 out of 10 times they still hand me a ten or twenty dollar bill. 

The OP One Off Grafx is in a different scenario with an in-law in a legit business expecting him to donate to their cause. Some people have way more nerve than me and evidently a lack self respect to pull that sort of thing on a relative (or anyone for that matter). To him I would say they are the ones who are going to pay the price, not you. You are no longer out the trouble and stress of dealing with them but I bet they come back later anyway.