abullock22

vehicle vinyl

I have a client who wants camo put on thier vehicle to resemble this

-2_zpsa99910b9.jpg

Do you think that oracal 651 vinyl will work for this job?

Thanks,

Andy

Whats the difference wbetween 751 and 651? Is 751 the vinyl that can be wrapped and heated n stuff?

The 751 is a cast vinyl and conforms to more complex curves. It also doesn't shrink as much as a calendered vinyl.

better adhesive, better durability, conformable,

better vinyl...period.

651 is really more for temporary uses on substrates like coroplast, banners, magnetics and things like that.

you should always be using a cast vinyl on vehicles.

better adhesive, better durability, conformable,

better vinyl...period.

651 is really more for temporary uses on substrates like coroplast, banners, magnetics and things like that.

you should always be using a cast vinyl on vehicles.

Even for glass on the vehicles?

I have vehicles that have been in service for at least 4 years on 651. It will shrink a little and it doesn't like curves but other than that the durability has proven itself to me in the southern sun

• Like 1

I have vehicles that have been in service for at least 4 years on 651. It will shrink a little and it doesn't like curves but other than that the durability has proven itself to me in the southern sun

Oh good cuz Ive got 7 fresh new rolls of 651. Thank god. Although im not wrapping anything either so Im safe.

Hoods and roofs last way shorter time due to UV no matter what type of vinyl you use. Oh and cast is also thinner which can be appealing at times especially when layering. Both have their place in the industry.

Even for glass on the vehicles?

for us yes

the southern sun may be strong but here we are closer to it, and it greatly effects our vinyl, we use 751 for anything on vehicles.

3M reduces our warranty by 40% because of the high UV here.

we will get signs back that others have done in 651 that have shrunk as much a half an inch.

Damn 1/2"? I've seen an 1/8" & occasionally slightly more. You guys got us best hand down for uv

yea it's ridiculous! we also have sulfur hot springs here and the sulfur dioxide produced by them makes reflective vinyl "rust".

try explaining that to customers!! :)

• Like 1

here, these spec sheets are from oracal, basically 951 has a durability of up to 12 years, and 751 is durable up to 8 years

they are both cast films however, we have never had a need for 951 unless it was a specific color, like silver grey. that's the only 951 we carry.

oracal-951.pdf

oracal-751.pdf

So I should be using 751 instead of 651 for vehicle decals?? Wtf??!!

Everything ive done is in 651 and have never had any issues.

Here are some samples.

20140426_093434_zps75a9248f.jpg

DollarDistrict_1_zps5f8ba4d5.jpg

DwainesBarbershop_2_zps957eb697.jpg

20130929_161649_zpse24b29a8.jpg

20130929_161635_zps329dc9c6.jpg

stuff looks awesome!

if 651 is working for you I'd say you're fine, but yes you really should use a cast film to prevent shrinkage.

But many people, like yourself obviously, :) get away with 651 (calendered) and do just fine.

A 24"x10yrd roll of 651 is about $23-26...while 751 is $44.

Ive had some 651 stuff on my truck for over 4 yrs with no issues.

good for you, that helps keep you're cost down for sure,

unfortunately because of our area we have to use cast vinyl for all outdoor applications

I think 6 out hit it on the head about location affecting what material is necessary. I'd be willing to bet that environment is more of a factor than anything else

I think the heat and ultraviolet light have more effect than cold but I'm sure cold has some effect too.

If not the cold..they get hit and damaged with ice scrapers if they are on glass.

yea but the best apart about ice scrapers is it's the customers fault, so you get to charge them to replace it.

the cold doesn't seem to bother the vinyl much as long as it's been installed while it was above 50 degrees.

the only real problems we've had is trying to install in winter and keep the vinyl warm enough while it's setting up, we get adhesion failures once in a while cause it's just too cold to apply.