hockeygirl

Just lost a customer... maybe

A (now former) customer just called to let me know that he's "firing" me, because his nephew just bought a brand new "really nice" 24" HP Printer with all the colors for $800, and can print his decals for half of what he's paying me...

I told him I understand and quickly hang up before I start laughing out loud... btw, the decals are supposed to go on wakeboards and wakesurfers. 

All I can say is... wow! Wonder if he'll call me back in 2 weeks...

• Like 1

that is sweet - only wish we had a drone fly cam on the wall when they start using them!

• Like 2

So he actually called u up to tell you he's not gonna buy from u anymore?? wow..u think he wouldn't even bother calling you...

that is sweet - only wish we had a drone fly cam on the wall when they start using them!

I would love to see them out on the water. Maybe I will get back into the competition circuit this year just for that...

So he actually called u up to tell you he's not gonna buy from u anymore?? wow..u think he wouldn't even bother calling you...

Yeah, since I'm pretty much part of the local wakeboarding community (used to compete) he thought I deserve an explanation of why we won't be working together anymore and don't want me to get weirded out when I see his decals out on the water...

Now, the real question is... Would I recognize them when I see them, after it's been towed behind a boat for a day...

• Like 1

have you thought about adding a "slithering back customer fee" to your list of services?

• Like 4

Well to be fair, it isnt the hardest trade to learn. We all learned it and I know im not the smartest guy around. Theres a good chance the nephew is reading on here right now. Learning just like we did/do. 

Its all going to depend on the devotion of the nephew and if he will stick with it. 

I wouldn't lose sleep over losing the the customer. Now your book just opened up to find 5 new ones. 

It's probably worth giving him a call in a few weeks to see how it's working out. The guy obviously doesn't have a clue, and seems like he fells like he's helping his nephew out along with getting a cheaper price. Keeping an open line of communication open with him will give you the oppertunity to talk with him if he has any issues with his new decals, and then you'll be able to remind him of your superior product. Remember we are customer driven in our field. He's just a guy tryin to save a dollar even though it'll end up costing him later.

Why would it end up costing them in the long run? They arent aloud to buy the same vinyl as we are? 

How do we know this nephew isnt a graphic artist and learned how to use a cutter in school? What if he interns at a sign shop? He might very well be better then we are. 

You guys are funny. I think you forgot where you started from. It must have been a very long time ago. 

I would not call. Send him a sample of your product and a business card and a gift certificate for a local Starbucks or DD. 

Why would it end up costing them in the long run? They arent aloud to buy the same vinyl as we are? 

How do we know this nephew isnt a graphic artist and learned how to use a cutter in school? What if he interns at a sign shop? He might very well be better then we are. 

You guys are funny. I think you forgot where you started from. It must have been a very long time ago. 

If he's layering a multi-color cut vinyl decal, kudos to him, that's a job I wouldn't take.

My point is, sadly, he's gone the route of thinking he can print his own vinyl decals on an aqueous printer and use it out on the water as a replacement of what I print on my Roland VersaCamm... Not to knock anyone, but I think there's a huge difference when you're talking about equipment cost of $800 vs $15000!

• Like 6

aqueous ink in water - even out of the water the sprayed on layer that lets the water based ink will fail in a fairly short time - now put that on a wakeboard  . .  . comparing to a product that actually bonds with the actual vinyl (after printing a large area with solvent and pulling right up before outgassing is like a wet piece of paper cause the solvent soaks in) - apples and oranges