Sign in to follow this  
blackpaws

What am I doing wrong?

I normally cut Oracal 631 but last night I was cutting mass amounts of 651. 98% of it is wording, letters around .5" to 1" tall. Anyways, it got to the point where it wasn't really cutting well. I would go to weed and letters would want to stay, the cuts weren't sharp. I increased the force, but it didn't really help and then started to cut holes in the paper. I figured alright, it's probably been awhile and the blade is probably going bad, so I replaced the blade today, and same thing! I started off cutting regular 631 today, and you can feel on the back of the paper where it cuts (because it's borderline going to cut the paper) but in certain parts it's just not even cutting the letters. It's a brand new blade.

What's going on here??? 

if you are cutting holes in the paper your blade is way too far out and you probably have damaged the strip like frxn said  - check it for damage

Thank you for responding folks! I just ordered a new strip along with a new cutter - mine is getting terribly old and although this is hopefully a quick easy fix, there will come a day when it kicks the bucket and I need to be prepared for that. 

some of the best cutting plotters I have had were OLD roland and graphtec - the graphtec fc-4100 I had I would put against any cutter going - and the pnc-1250 was very solid plotter.  if quality built old isn't a problem.  now a value cutter that is old tends to get sloppier in the cuts.  they make the money so you can move up to better ones!

• Like 1

Turns out it wasn't the cutting strip, but I really appreciate you folks giving somewhere for me to start. I called support and after trouble shooting all other scenarios, they told me to order a new Z-Axis chip for the motherboard. Said that it can be the culprit when the cutter is cutting things at random pressures. I hope it fixes it. To make things worse, my backup cutter arrived today and it wouldn't even turn on! Bad power supply, so they are overnighting me a new one. Lord help me! Anyways, the cutter is a mh721. Figured I'd update my progress in case anyone searches the forums for a similar problem. Will update on the final solution. 

Turns out it wasn't the cutting strip, but I really appreciate you folks giving somewhere for me to start. I called support and after trouble shooting all other scenarios, they told me to order a new Z-Axis chip for the motherboard. Said that it can be the culprit when the cutter is cutting things at random pressures. I hope it fixes it. To make things worse, my backup cutter arrived today and it wouldn't even turn on! Bad power supply, so they are overnighting me a new one. Lord help me! Anyways, the cutter is a mh721. Figured I'd update my progress in case anyone searches the forums for a similar problem. Will update on the final solution. 

yup got about a dozen of them! (z axis chips)

I had your initial problem once. Come to find out my blade had residual vinyl stuck to it. Also might want to check that your blade is moving freely.