Sign in to follow this  
smendlik

How hot will I need?

I’m researching to see what I need to buy to get into the sublimation printing arena.  I have no desire to get into making hats or t-shirts, I only have interest in mugs, travel mugs, dog tags, and coasters.   I’m going to use Cactus wraps and a toaster oven for the mugs.  I’m assuming there is no way to make coasters & dog tags in a toaster oven.  I have seen directions saying to cook the dog tags at 400 degrees and some say 380 degrees.  Looking at the heat presses here at US Cutter there is a huge price difference between cutters maxing out at 399 degrees and presses that can heat up to 400 and above.

I guess my real question is will 399 degrees be enough for coasters and dog tags?

Thanks,

Steve

You need 400 degrees somethings can be pressed lower. But make sure you get one that can go higher. If the press isn't going to be on. 12hrs a day or longer pick one up on the big auction site.

I haven't checked the big auction site yet, good suggestion.  Thanks.  I really only looked at US Cutter and some of the sublimation supply companies and it seems like the economy presses max out at 399 degrees, will 1 degree really be a big deal?

No wonder I'm getting so confused, some presses are listed as having a max temp. of 399F while some have a max temp of 300 C even though the filter options ony have choices for Fahrenheit.

Take for example, both of these show up when I select the filter option of 399 F Max:

http://www.uscutter.com/Economy-Clamshell-Heat-Press-9x12  (300 C max)

&

http://www.uscutter.com/Clamshell-Heat-Press-15-x-15  (399 F max)

Now I'm a lot less confused!

I press between 385 and 400f i even go down to 399 but press 1 or 2 minutes longer if i need to

I haven't checked the big auction site yet, good suggestion.  Thanks.  I really only looked at US Cutter and some of the sublimation supply companies and it seems like the economy presses max out at 399 degrees, will 1 degree really be a big deal?

its not that 1 degree would be a big deal, its that the machine can only go to 399, and if you run it maxed out every time, it will decrease the life expectancy greatly (even though its a you-get-what-you-pay-for piece of equipment)

think about it, you dont run your car full throttle everywhere you go, dont run your equipment at full bore and it will last you a while.

the ROI on sublimation is very high. I reccomend saving for a good heat press and a seperate mug press. you can make your money back in no time. Remember, Customized items cary a premium becasue they are 1-off items.