Sign in to follow this  
Briguy

Freezing up in middle of bigger projects

Hi , I have a MH 871 that I been using SB for the past few years and been great for what I do . Except recently during bigger projects , vehicle lettering , signs , and banners the cutting process tends to freeze up on average 1 out of 3 cuts . I thought it was my SB so I removed it and installed a different version and still does it .

The memory has been upgraded on the cutter and it is grounded (had static electricity issues) . It`s been a great cutter just acts up now on bigger projects and can`t figure it out and gets frustrating wasting vinyl .

HELP ! 

go serial cable - helps with the bigger cuts - the usb is flaky at best on the mh so long cuts are more of a problem

go serial cable - helps with the bigger cuts - the usb is flaky at best on the mh so long cuts are more of a problem

Thanks for the reply , why does running a serial over usb perform better ? Just curious

on the value cutters, they use a cheap chipset to emulate the usb port and not a true usb port - so using the usb on the plotter makes it go thru that poor chipset, where going thru the serial port lets it bypass that part.  you will need a null modem serial cable (like came with the machine) and a computer with a serial port or a keyspan adapter that has a better chipset.  we see people all the time get the cheapest usb to serial adapter then wonder why it doesn't work - save yourself the headache and get the keyspan if you go that way.  or better yet if you have  a desktop and it doesn't have a serial port either get a serial card from newegg to add to it or just get an older xp computer with a serial port for a dedicated cutter computer .  the plotters really don't take much of a computer to run them so even an old single core with low ram will cut fine

• Like 3

Thanks , I`ve been using my laptop but think my desktop will be going back downstairs and get a serial cable .

make sure it is a null modem serial cable or it won't work.   if you find the one that came with the cutter you are all set

Yes, go serial. Also, if you turn the cutter off, then back on, between jobs it will clear the memory.