Sign in to follow this  
mor1287

Are all adhesive vinyls printable?

I've been doing some research and planning on adding custom decals (for cell phones, laptops, etc.) to my business. I've come across other forums where people claim that they use Oracal 631 or 651 with their own image printed on it. However, when looking through the USCutters store, those models are not on the Printable Vinyls page. I'm just a bit confused about this....Can all vinyls be printed on? My goal is to be able to print multi colors graphics on the vinyl (both glossy and matte). I didn't realize there were so many different types!

yes you can print on most vinyls out there 651 is nice to print on,  try not to use cheap vinyl to print on as the inks can be really aggressive and make the vinyl shrink, i print all the time on normal plotter vinyl then laminate and there always fine had no probs as of yet. hope this helps. dee

yes you can print on most vinyls out there 651 is nice to print on,  try not to use cheap vinyl to print on as the inks can be really aggressive and make the vinyl shrink, i print all the time on normal plotter vinyl then laminate and there always fine had no probs as of yet. hope this helps. dee

Thanks for your help. It looks like I need to do more research after reading your response. I didn't know that you had to laminate (I know absolutely nothing about that). I honestly thought it was as simple as printing on the vinyl and being done with it before cutting it.

My goal is basically to be able to do this: http://www.decalgirl.com/info/installation.htm

You need a digital printer such as a Roland SV series ie 300 i 540 i these are the latest models out.

Or a mimaki digital printer.Thats how the printing is done shown in your link.

You can print on 651 only with a Gerber Edge or a Roland PC 60 or PC 600 or PC 12, no laminate needed, there is a Summa Thermal printer also.

mark-s

You need a digital printer such as a Roland SV series ie 300 i 540 i these are the latest models out.

Or a mimaki digital printer.Thats how the printing is done shown in your link.

You can print on 651 only with a Gerber Edge or a Roland PC 60 or PC 600 or PC 12, no laminate needed, there is a Summa Thermal printer also.

mark-s

I have a jv33 mimaki running full solvent and printed a phone cover and didnt laminate and the print started to deterioate after about 4-5 weeks...  sub printing or thermal would be the way to go.

I actually have an Epson 7600. I haven't used it yet because it was just recently given to me by a relative and I was planning on using it for the decal stuff. Would this be suitable without needing to laminate? Or am I simply out of luck and need to buy a thermal printer?

dee10w....when you say "sub printing" are you talking about sublimation? I currently use sublimation on aluminum plates as a part of my business and have seen iPhone decal sublimation sheets from Conde. I'm trying to stay away from premade sheets like that but if you know of vinyl that I can sublimate, I'd really appreciate the help. I'd much prefer printing directly to vinyl and using a cutter but if that requires a new expensive printer, I'll just go the sublimation route if I can find the right vinyl for that.

I run a roland SP 300V ECO Solvent inks, can get 3yrs without lamination, sometimes more life depending on where its located and 5yrs with lamination.

mark-s

I actually have an Epson 7600.

The Epson 7600 is an aqueous printer. Whatever you end up buying, be it vinyl, banner, canvas, etc., will need to be for an aqueous printer. Material for aqueous printers costs more due to it needing to have a special coating for the ink to absorb into.

• Like 1

The Epson 7600 is an aqueous printer. Whatever you end up buying, be it vinyl, banner, canvas, etc., will need to be for an aqueous printer. Material for aqueous printers costs more due to it needing to have a special coating for the ink to absorb into.

And it won't last as long as solvent printed designs, especially with a lot of wear like a phone skin would get...  Unless you laminate it.