Sign in to follow this  
demondecals

Help with USB port problem

New here, so please forgive us if this has been covered before.  We're using a CT630, running WinPCSign, and just bought a new Compaq laptop soley for use in the shop with the cutter.  We've seen all the posts on here about the problems with using a USB port, but this 'puter only has USB's on it.  We got an adapter cable to go from the USB to the serial port on the cutter, but we cant get the computer to recognize the cutter at all.  Any ideas on how to get around this since we have nothing but USB ports on the computer?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

hi ,your best bet is to pm ken with your phone # and describe problem .he will get back to you.your computer should have an expansion slot that you can add a pmcia card too.that will most likely solve your problems ....it did for me.

cjb

Using either cable, do you see it show up in the Ports category of your Device Manager?

yes....it shows up under "transfer cable devices".  I switched the setting to COM4, but now when I try to cut, it pops up a window that says "cant initialize cutting device"

yes....it shows up under "transfer cable devices".  I switched the setting to COM4, but now when I try to cut, it pops up a window that says "cant initialize cutting device"

Transfer Cable Devices is a category in your Device Manager, or is it a device listed under a particular category? Does not sound right.

Yes, Transfer Cable Devices is a category in the Device Manager, then a sub-category under that is "USB Easy Transfer Cable".  I think it came from the adapter cable we bought to go from USB to the serial port on the cutter.  It's just a short cord about a foot long with a USB on one end, and the small 9-pin connector on the other end (which used to hook into our computer). 

I'm a bit confused about the whole USB thing....in the device manager, under USB controllers category, there are 9 different USB listings.  There are ones listed as :  ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Contoller-2830,2831,2832 and 2836; then one listed as USB Composite Device; and 4 listed as USB Root Hub.  My new laptop has 3 USB ports on it, and we're using one for the cordless mouse we bought when we go the computer.  Does it matter which one we try to hook the cutter to? 

Next, just in case you need this info, is the Device Manager category of Ports (COM & LPT).  Under that are Communications Port (COM4); ECP Printer Port; Multiport Communications Port (COM8); and Printer Port (LPT3).

Hopefully this is enough info for you. 

No, it does not.  When I double click to bring up the properties, the general tab says that the device cannot start.

I do not think that the driver is loaded properly, or Windows is finding the incorrect driver for the connection. You will need to right click on it, then click on Update drivers and reinstall the driver.

Thanks again for the help!  We'll try that tonight, but just in case it still doesnt fix it, we may be interested in buying SignBlazer.  Is this a pretty good program?  We're going to try the trial version tonight, but what about all the thousand or so files we have from jobs through our WinPCSign program?  Is there any way to transfer them over or are going to have to remake every job we've ever done? 

Thanks again!!