Sign in to follow this  
MacGrafix

Charging per sq, inch versus per inches of material used

I have been charging per square inch, but if I do not have a small piece of vinyl, I end up having to cut it off a wide roll.  This has created scrap pieces (which I do not throw out).  It's just that my scrap pile has grown and I am looking at it as lost money.

what does everyone else do?  

For example.....customer wants a 6"x6" decal in bright pink.  I do not have a small piece in my basket.  I have to cut it off a 24" roll.  this leaves me with a 7" x 18" piece of scrap and who know when I will ever use it again?  

A 6" decal will cost my customer $8, but I have a big piece left over, that hopefully I will use, but no promises.

Just need a little advice on how to handle this, or is this just something that you have to deal with.

Scrap pieces of vinyl laying around is just part of the business. They come in handy for fixing mistakes or making small decals. If they want something 20"x48", then you could charge for 24"x50".

I had a recent job that was for two 20"x55" and a 16.5"x63". I added some extra copies of their logo to the 16.5" to bring it up to around 22" and charged for 24" on everything. The customer was more than happy.

If you ordered something custom built from wood, they are going to charge you for all of the material used to make the finished item, even the pieces in the bin.

Bridgett, just charge your regular price - like above scrap etc it all calculated into your regular prices

I started charging by the linear inch for this reason.  It was killing me to cut something 13" tall/wide from a 24" roll to create scraps.  I got really tired of cutting and saving scraps so I just started tossing them most of the time. And saving scraps for a friend of mine who cuts as a hobby.  I also have 12x12 sheets and 12x24 sheets leftover that I will use for small decals that aren't done in qty.  So I don't feel like I'm wasting as much. 

A linear foot of 24" vinyl costs 67 cents  (assuming $100 for a 50-yard roll)

You use 1/2 a linear foot, which is not even 35 cents.

You are charging $8.

I really don't even see the issue here.

• Like 2

I have bins of scraps (bread trays from the grocery store) and use these all the time plus I sell 12x12 and 12x24 sheets on craigslist for cricut user which eats up most of the larger scraps. If you think vinyl scrap is expensive wait until you start messing with htv vinyl. I have a 3 drawer bin for htv vinyl scraps and it's great for small logos or hats.