EF8

Is static electricity causing write port error and other mysterious problems?

Hi guys

I've been using my PCut CTN1200 for quite many years now and every now and then, with no obvious reason, I do get more write port errors. Today, however, while moving the vinyl (3M 50-120) back and forth, I noticed that my Windows Laptop randomly drops the connection to the cutter. After testing this phenomena some hundreds of times :P I removed the vinyl from the cutter and moved some nothingness back and forth. No more dropping of the connection.

Has anyone else noticed this? How have you fixed it?

If your using USB, this can happen.  Better to have a serial connection.  Either serial cable, serial card, or a Keyspan Adapter, (brand name by Tripp-lite),  much better connection.

Write port errors can be caused by plugging the cutter into your computer while the computer is turned on.  Always plug your cutter in while the computer is turned off.   Then turn your computer and vinyl cutter on. You are assigning it a new com port number when you do that.  Then it will not match.

Hmm... You could be right. I believe my problems started once my old XP laptop died and I had to go to a WIN7 laptop, which doesn't have PCMCIA or EC card slot :/ Thus, I had to start using USB instead of serial.

I do have few Aten UC232A's somewhere, do you know/believe if it would help?

Hmm... You could be right. I believe my problems started once my old XP laptop died and I had to go to a WIN7 laptop, which doesn't have PCMCIA or EC card slot :/ Thus, I had to start using USB instead of serial.

I do have few Aten UC232A's somewhere, do you know/believe if it would help?

Tech support ONLY recommends  a Keyspan Adaper  that IS the brand name.... or a BELKIN.  the others will not work.....  Don't go buy a Radio Shack , Best Buy or anything else. They will not work. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-/111337537040?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item19ec3bfe10

You hook the serial cable that came with your cutter to it.

So Belkin works?

I don't live in the US, but our local PC store has the Belkin version available. Do you know if this looks like the one I should get.

The Keyspan Adapter is sold all over the world... Made by Tripp-lite.  You would have to ask Uscutter on the Belkin. 

http://www.tripplite.com 

just change the country at the top of the website, maybe you can find one close.

I use a Belkin adapter with the three lights on my Pcut. Also I installed a little ground strap from the plotter to the frame. i used existing screws and little clips from auto parts store.

However it is faster with USB interface- the converter lights flash showing its translating, and the tracing takes longer. I use Windows XP and Signblazer.

I wondered if the USb was a faster connection. And the small difference in speed prolly

doesn't make much difference to most people. But I wondered about some of the chinese

cutters that already are a bit picky about baud rates...

Thanks for the confirmation.

Direct USB is much faster for sending info to the cutter.

Great success!  :thumbsup:

The Aten UC232A worked great with my PCut. Earlier, I have had problems with this converter, but I guess they were related to the old computer I had. Lots of blue screens and other Windows™ features in it...  ;)

Cheers for help guys, especially for you Mz SKEETER.

Direct USB is much faster for sending info to the cutter.

While technically that is true, the cutter essentially has a USB to serial converter built in so you're not actually gaining anything in speed, you're still limited to what ever the serial speed the internal converter is running at.

Great success!  :thumbsup:

The Aten UC232A worked great with my PCut. Earlier, I have had problems with this converter, but I guess they were related to the old computer I had. Lots of blue screens and other Windows™ features in it...  ;)

Cheers for help guys, especially for you Mz SKEETER.

Your welcome,  Glad you got it going.   Cheers to you!!!! ;D

Write port error is back  :angry: Working with these Chinese crappers can be so amazingly frustrating.