npace

Wax over vinyl?

customer came in today and said his last truck had vinyl applied straight to the door and they waxed over it after? i am not a newbie, but not a 50 year vet either so this threw me a little. i've had requests for laminate, but never wax. any ideas? 

Yeah regular car wax isnt gonna do anything to it..ive clear coated over it before...many many coats and wet sanded it smooth so u couldnt even feel the edges of the vinyl.

This was my first street bike.

I didnt make these graphics a local shop did..but this is what got me into vinyl.

78gs750_4_zps76b83049.jpg

78gs750_3_zpsd60f77d5.jpg

78gs750_6_zpsbfc504c0.jpg

• Like 1

wow! how many layers to build up to the vinyl? it looks seamless.

this is a work truck so i doubt he will put that much effort in clear coating the entire truck to match the doors. then again....i've been wrrr wrrr wrrrro wrrrooo..... dang it's so hard for me to admit. 

I dont recall..at least 10 coats..lol.

I miss that old bike. Sold it for my newer one lol.

I dont recall..at least 10 coats..lol. I miss that old bike. Sold it for my newer one lol.

Sorry, off topic.

I still have my 1979 KZ1000 mkII sitting in my garage.

Done to the (you know) love them old kaws.

• Like 1

My new bike is a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750..i also own two other bikes an 85 and an 86 Kawi 454ltd's that i am restoring

Wax may be fine but I shot some rattle can clear over some 651 recently and it curled up and died.

Wax may be fine but I shot some rattle can clear over some 651 recently and it curled up and died.

really...what kind of clear??

Ive never had that happen before.

Had to go out in the shop and look.

Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel.

Caught me off guard as well.

I definately didnt expect the reaction I got.

Sounds like somebody was getting BS'd, bigtime. That was probably someone charging extra for 'lamination'.

There's a guy in Australia, selling print vinyl on Ebay, says it doesn't need lamination, just put some SPF30 sunscreen on it.

wax?  sunscreen?  i pride myself on doing right by my customers, but hey... if there is a market... i'm calling turtle and banana boat today! 

• Like 1

I've cleared 651 on max metal a few times for temporary grave markers and never had a failure. Just dusted first 2 coats and layed on the last.

I often wax over decals. It doesn't help the vinyl or anything, but it cleans fingerprints and spots from app fluid better than anything else. I work in a body shop so we always have a couple gallons on hand, otherwise I'd use, I dunno, spit or something.

• Like 1

I did lemans stripes on one of my Mustangs and a detail shop ruined them with some black wax. Don't know what the guy was thinking putting black wax on gold stripes but it destroyed them. Can't remember the brand vinyl but it was 7 year cast I bought from Beacon.

I think 3M specifically warns against using colored wax on any of their vinyl.