NickiZ

Neon Vinyl

Ok - I goofed, I think.  I purchased neon vinyl to do a door window.  Finally getting the courage up to work on it (because I have to piece it) and just realized my vinyl is white on the back side.  I really wanted to install this on the inside of the glass so it's not exposed to the weather.  Is there a neon vinyl that is colored on both sides?

I was just going to say the same thing, you might be lucky to get 2 or 3 months out of it. I done jobs in the past that were only up for 2 months and Uv Rays sure do a number rather quickly on the material. I'd advise the client of this and try to talk to something long term. Educate and sell.

Yeah - but the guy wants his logo on the front door in hot pink!  I just assumed when I ordered this neon that it was two sided like all the other vinyl I've ordered.

oracal vinyl is usually color all the way thru - but they also advise not to put it on the inside as the adhesive is not uv resistant like the vinyl  - at least in many cars now the glass cuts down uv transfer but they still advise against it

• Like 2

Well best you can do is an outside application plus I'd cut white first and lay it down as a stroke or outline then apply your pink over top. Many other way you can go is put black down the same way as a stroke then apply gold letters and it will pop nicely and last as well as look classy. Other letter colors can be white, silver etc. anything that's going to make the lettering pop and be readable.

• Like 1

I have Florescent on the Jeep going on a year now and other than the hood it still looks respectable.

• Like 1

Well best you can do is an outside application plus I'd cut white first and lay it down as a stroke or outline then apply your pink overtop. Many other way you can go is put black down the same way as a stroke then apply gold letters and it will pop nicely and last as well as look classy.

I don't think anyone wanting hot pink is worried about classy. Just really LOUD lol

• Like 2

Yeah - but the guy wants his logo on the front door in hot pink!  I just assumed when I ordered this neon that it was two sided like all the other vinyl I've ordered.

This might be an opportunity to learn how to paint a sign  ;D

Make a vinyl stencil out of 631 (easy to pull off) and then paint the design onto the glass.

UV colors don't last because of the very thing that makes them work.  They absorb ultraviolet light and emit visible light and since they need to absorb UV to make them look bright, they don't have the integral UV protection that most vinyls have and so they break down very quickly.  If you put them on the inside of UV blocking glass, they'll lose a lot of their "punch" because there will be a limited amount of UV light getting to them to excite the chemicals that emit those bright colors.

There is a beauty shop that opened here in town last year and their front window is done with several painted fluorescent colors and they have held up OK over the past 6-7 months, but no idea how long they'll last.

If he's only wanting the door sign done in hot pink fluorescent, buy a 10 yard roll, cut as many extra copies as you can out of the one roll and tell him you'll need to come back every few months to replace and offer him a deal on an ongoing subscription for replacement signage...  >:D

• Like 6

Well best you can do is an outside application plus I'd cut white first and lay it down as a stroke or outline then apply your pink over top. Many other way you can go is put black down the same way as a stroke then apply gold letters and it will pop nicely and last as well as look classy. Other letter colors can be white, silver etc. anything that's going to make the lettering pop and be readable.

You could also put a layer of color 000 Oracal (clear) or Oraguard laminate over the top of the fluorescent vinyl prior to cutting (you'll need to extend your blade and up your pressure a bit) and that will help extend the life, as it has some UV blocker in it, but it will cut down on the brightness of the vinyl and may make it look too glossy and shiny.   Anyone got any scraps of 000 or Oraguard and fluorescent and can give it a try?

• Like 1

Sooo - if I were going to paint it - what type of paint would you recommend?

Fluorescent pink...  ;D

Hopefully someone with real paint experience can provide you a meaningful answer...

• Like 2

I don't think anyone wanting hot pink is worried about classy. Just really LOUD lol

LOL Point made...

Make a vinyl stencil out of 631 (easy to pull off) and then paint the design onto the glass.

UV colors don't last because of the very thing that makes them work.  They absorb ultraviolet light and emit visible light and since they need to absorb UV to make them look bright, they don't have the integral UV protection that most vinyls have and so they break down very quickly.  If you put them on the inside of UV blocking glass, they'll lose a lot of their "punch" because there will be a limited amount of UV light getting to them to excite the chemicals that emit those bright colors.

There is a beauty shop that opened here in town last year and their front window is done with several painted fluorescent colors and they have held up OK over the past 6-7 months, but no idea how long they'll last.

If he's only wanting the door sign done in hot pink fluorescent, buy a 10 yard roll, cut as many extra copies as you can out of the one roll and tell him you'll need to come back every few months to replace and offer him a deal on an ongoing subscription for replacement signage...  >:D

For that matter you can just make a sign and hang it behind the door and let it show threw.

Ronan makes  fluorescent paint that needs a protective top coat. Not sure what the life span is, some colors and fluorescents hvae a limited lifespan even with a protective topcoat. Look up Ronan and find a local sign shop that sells it they should be able to help with more info. While your at it buy a decent brush, a cheap brush will leave tons of brushmarks on glass.

Honestly Oracal 751 magenta is usually pink enough for my customers that want "hot pink" but then realize it turns white in 6 months!

if you going to paint it use one shot, best sign paint around.

• Like 2

OW, you are source of information. Thanks for the lesson. I learn something new everyday. 

They changed something in 1Shot, takes too long to dry and doesnt pull the same. I started using Ronan also Nova Colors, but Nova would not work for glass.