Dakotagrafx

Decal or Sticker

I just got an explanation so I could understand the difference between a decal and a sticker on ebay   :huh:

I wanted to get into the difference in soda and pop but actually stopped myself

"The best way to explain a sticker is like a label its white with coloring and square or rectangle with the white area being applied along with the colored area. its all one piece. What you have is a decal and only the colored area gets applied to the surface. "

• Like 2

"The best way to explain a sticker is like a label its white with coloring and square or rectangle with the white area being applied along with the colored area. its all one piece. What you have is a decal and only the colored area gets applied to the surface. "

I always have to correct my friends and colleagues when they call them stickers.  It really gets under my skin for some reason...haha

The item was described as a decal but I had to ask them to explain the difference when they asked me which it was

I just call it vinyl most of the time. I have heard sign people call it vinyl, decals and stickers hell its all the same thing no mater what you call it. Now pop is a different thing all depending where your from....... here we call it pop most of the older, people in the southern states still call it pop remember Andy telling Barney lets go down to Wally's and get us a pop. I hear a lot of northe rn people call it soda or soft drink

• Like 2

Stickers come out of vending machines & Decals are made by professionals :D

• Like 3

I'm wanting to agree with you all but, how does all this square with the 'decals' we used to slide onto our model airplanes & autos?

• Like 1

I always thought a decal is a printed image and a sticker is made with a vinyl cutter.

from WIKI:

Decal is composed of the following layers from top to bottom:

1. A paper or film face-stock makes up the top layer of the labelstock. The printing is done on the upper side of the facestock.
  2. An adhesive layer is applied to the bottom of the face stock.
  3. A silicone or release coating layer is applied to the upper side of the backing material.
  4. A paper or film liner provides the bottom layer of the labelstock.

Different variations of decals include: water-slide or water-dip; and vinyl peel-and-stick. A water-slide (or water-dip) decal is screen-printed on a layer of water-soluble adhesive on a water-resistant paper, that must first be dipped in water prior to its application. Upon contact with water, the glue is loosened and the decal can be removed from its backing; overly long exposure, however, dissolves the glue completely causing the decal to fail to adhere. A peel-and-stick decal is actually not a decal as described above, but a vinyl sticker with adhesive backing, that can be transferred by peeling off its base. The sign industry calls these peel-and-stick vinyl stickers vinyl-cut-decals.

now I am more confused than ever LOL

I think the terms are interchangeable. A printed decal goes on a bike, a model etc., but when it goes on your bumper it's called a sticker. I think only people who have too much time or are anal care about the semantics. I call them all vinyl decals, or vehicle graphics unless it goes on a substrate then it's a sign,lol.

Most of my customers call them stickers so that is what I make them. For the ones that ask for decals I make them decals. Customer is always right.

• Like 2

I call it all vinyl...if its a "sticker" its printed vinyl...if cut with a plotter just a vinyl decal.  Now soda and pop i don't call it either.  Down here in SC everything is referred to as a "Coke".  "Im gonna stop and get a Coke"...walks out with a Sprite.

• Like 1

Speaking for myself, My Computer Designs Nothing... Its all me.

Could you design it without a computer and and send it to the cutter. A computer is just a tool like the cutter or a pair of scissors

It has to have a human to operate it.

You're right, "it's just a tool" therefore, it DOES NOT ~design~ anything. The operator does.

I AM a cutter.... I can do the work without the machine. I grew up with a razor in my hand.

I will readily admit these tools are real time savers... but that is all.

They're not Nessesary nor is my work "Computer Designed".

I call it all vinyl...if its a "sticker" its printed vinyl...if cut with a plotter just a vinyl decal.  Now soda and pop i don't call it either.  Down here in SC everything is referred to as a "Coke".  "Im gonna stop and get a Coke"...walks out with a Sprite.

stop by anywhere in Detroit and ask for coke LOL  - might not be the same

• Like 2

Takes alot of balls just to stop in Detroit

We should just sell Detroit to Canada. Problem solved. Maybe Rob Ford can be the mayor!

i call them vinyl decals.. but as long as they are paying with cash, they can call it what they want. 

• Like 2