Jrpdash9

Not finishing the cut!

hello,

I just recieved my sc cutter today, installed everything on a all-in-one mac with 10.7 os.

typed "test" and it drew it fine ( had pen in). wrote it twice no issues. went to draw 3x in a row ( all at once on the paper) and it stoped half way through. everything else i tried had the same result..

i am going to try another computer (pc) and a new cable tomorrow.

i do not have a stand so i do not have the ground wire that goes between them. but i would not think a piece of paper would build that much static that fast.

any ideas where to start?

what type of cable are you using to connect it?  Also - I'd ground it even though it's paper.  

What software you using? SCALP?

SCALP (Sure cuts a lot pro) is kind of a less than optimum cutting/design program. I realize they sent that out with the cutter but a lot of folks find it just kind of sucks to put in mildly. If you find you are still having problems you might try downloading a free 7 day trial of SignCut Pro. It works great on mac and you can at least get up and running and then decide if you are going to want to try to get by with SCALP or not. Signcut will cost you to use it either on a subscription or buying a dongle but it works great and integrates well with the mac platform. I had SCALP for a while but in windows version for a laptop that I use to cut with. I was less than happy and gave it away with an old cutter.

Likewise with designing, SCALP is limited. Some get by with it and some don't. Inkscape is a free vector design program that works circles around SCALP for free. I haven't used the mac version of this program but the windows ones work well and you can't beat the price. Any program you work with will have a certain learning curve and if your new anyway you might want to consider how you plan to invest your time. I use Illustrator for design on my mac and many here use that or Corel draw but both of these will cost you extra money and for starting out they will be just as hard to use as inkscape for a newbie. I'm not trying to discourage you in any way just giving a little experienced insight.

• Like 3

I loaded scal on my widows laptop and it works like a charm.

Very pleased with my sc cutter

There you go. Mac is def a little finicky. I do 90% of my cutting on a windows laptop but nearly 100% of my designing on my mac. I have had two times that my windows laptop crashed bad enough that I was in trouble so I have since gotten set up with the ability to fall back to my mac and cut if needed. I basically don't like having my cutter over by the main desktop so out of convenience the laptop serves well. Enjoy the cutter and welcome to the forum!

• Like 1