gmddecals

What kind of serial adapter do I need?

Hi! Just have a quick question since I am not super computer saavy.

I currently have an SC model cutter and plan to purchase either a COPAM or LaserPoint2 this week (still undecided). I need to use a serial-to-usb adapter for more reliable connectivity between the machines and my laptop, but I am unsure how to purchase one. I want to get the correct one and not waste money on something that will not work. I see them listed online with different specs and it is overwhelming. 

Basically what I need is a serial to usb adapter cable that has a few feet of length (the longer the better) that is compatible with the US Cutter machines. :)

Any help would be great! :) Thank you!

right here,,, is the only adapter that UScutter tech support recommends to work correctly   Tripp-lite Keyspan adapter   That is the brand name.  Now just find the best price.   Not Radio Shack, Best Buy or any of those others will work..  Buy this one..  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-/160804080791?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item2570ab8c97

• Like 1

Also I have a LP2 running straight usb with no problems. Some machines are better than others about that even the same model.

even with that one pictured on ebay i would still need a adapter for my machine because the port on my machine is male and so is the port on that part on ebay. 

even with that one pictured on ebay i would still need a adapter for my machine because the port on my machine is male and so is the port on that part on ebay. 

You  should be able use the serial cable that came with your vinyl cutter.     One end of it, goes to your cutter,  the other end to the 9 pin of the Keyspan adapter,  then the USB end of Keyspan to your computer.    Check it out.   See if it would work.  It not, get an adapter to make it work. 

ooooooooo duh lol i feel dumb now. 

You use both wires to connect it. 

I thought that you would only have to use 1 wire to connect it to my computer.  :mellow:  :ph34r:  ;D

ooooooooo duh lol i feel dumb now. 

You use both wires to connect it. 

I thought that you would only have to use 1 wire to connect it to my computer.  :mellow:  :ph34r:  ;D

Your not dumb,  you just needed some extra instructions not given.  Hope it works for you...

• Like 1

Your not dumb,  you just needed some extra instructions not given.  Hope it works for you...

"You're" not dumb.

Oh, the irony.

:rolleyes:

Love ya, Skeetz. I couldn't resist.

• Like 1

"You're" not dumb.

Oh, the irony.

:rolleyes:

Love ya, Skeetz. I couldn't resist.

ok fast reply,,    thanks,   I am dumb...You are not!!!!

You wanna know how I learned to use a computer?

Macs for Dummies.

I rest my case.