gcextreme

Double Layer App Tape?

I have a large 22x20 sign i am doing, most of it is one color (white) but there are a few words that are two colors (layers of red on white), can i just apply the apptape with the red onto those sections, then apply another layer of app tape over the whole thing?

Are you applying the vinyl to the sign or is the customer? Do you have a pic of the design?

I will be applying it.

Its just like this..

The areas that are GREEN will be one color WHITE...and then Red will be on top of the Days of the week..

So there will be RED ontop of the white...

Just wanting to know if i can apply the red top layer of those sections with apptape and leave the apptape, then apply apptape over all of it.

post-38025-0-84666300-1398130248_thumb.j

I'd apply the white, remove tape, apply red, remove tape...done. It should be a simple layering job. I think you might be over complicating it. Do it wet so you can move things around before squeegeeing.

I would delete the empty space in the O's, D's, etc., but that's just my preference.

So you think just do it all there on site? I was hoping to have it all layered and done and ready to just apply there.

If you cut registration marks on each color then you can layer them ahead of time. Cut the same marks in the same exact place on each color. Tape the red with enough tape to cover the entire red/white design, bring it over to the white & lay it down.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=layer+two+color+decal

You can always make a smaller version of the decal to practice with.

So you think just do it all there on site? I was hoping to have it all layered and done and ready to just apply there.

It is a heck of a lot easier just to layer on site/substrate then layering beforehand. Most sign writers will tell you the same thing even with multiple layers and colors. If you are doing a sign in the shop or a truck/van etc that is how it is done. Is it going on glass? Use rapid tac 2 if you have it if not you may want to take a heat gun to speed up taking off the tape especially if it is cool.

Clean the glass extra good and wipe down with alchahol before applying.

Thanks, I am still learning. This will be my first store front i have lettered...so I am kinda excited.

I have done 2 trucks and a few flute signs, but mostly just small decals..

I was able to get the red applied to the white, then get it all taped up...the wife helped me...i think it looks good..heres some samples..

The main logo, was a pain to do...Did the Red inner circle, then the Black, then the white $ sign.

20140421_203748_zpscd64fd84.jpg

Here's it all together and tapped up, ready to be installed..

The top logo is going on the top half of the door above the handle, and the store hours is going on the bottom part of the door:

20140421_213140_zps10ce98fb.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow the install goes well...wish me luck! I will post the final pics when i can!

• Like 4

I try not to layer ahead of time just because you will get quite a few bubbles in along the edges of the layers. Just my two cents. Some jobs are tough to do out in the field though so....

Thats good to know...i did these wet tho so theres no bubbles..

Also whipped this out for my barber..

20140421_221301_zps8acf4db5.jpg

He moved into a new place this winter...doesnt have anything on his door yet..im sure i will get a few free haircuts outta this! He's been cutting my hair for over 10 years lol.

• Like 2

Like stated always layer on site if possible but to answer your question I tape over tape like you said sometimes and it has never caused a problem for me and I have done it on rare occasion with RTA stuff as well with no nasty phone calls.