threezzz

pub glasses for etching...

now that i have all the equipment to do some etching... i can no longer find any beer mugs/pub glasses.... walmart had them earlier but seem to have clearance and sold them all with not replacing them.... dollar tree is a ghetto store and never know what will be in stock... arg!...anyone have good ideas on where to look...:huh:

Look on Libbey's website. Tons of cool stuff, and cheaper than buying from vendors. Check the clearance section.

I bought some shot glasses from www.barsupplies.com

You can also go to www.dollartree.com and order cases of glassware to the store with free shipping. If they don't have it on the website you can call the 1-800 number and order over the phone if you have the UPC or stock number.

• Like 2

thanks all for the info...will check all the websites and see what happens... they dollar tree in my area is so bad... place is just dirty and have stock sitting everywhere in boxes in isles and against walls, almost a fire trap... 

thanks all for the info...will check all the websites and see what happens... they dollar tree in my area is so bad... place is just dirty and have stock sitting everywhere in boxes in isles and against walls, almost a fire trap... 

order em from the online dollar tree site

• Like 1

i was in Freds today and saw they had some.Was surprised but were just like $tree. Also for $1. 

I have bought some off Amazon.  I think they must have been seconds cause a couple of them had flaws.

Good quality clear coffee mugs are something else.  Only place I have found them local is Bed, Bath & Beyond...

Cal

Threezzz I buy mine from a restaurant supply store. I looked online at some of the other sites but once you add in the shipping it is just a cheep to go to the restaurant supply.  I have bought from Dollar tree but the only mugs they sell now are 27 oz and not many of the bars want  them for  their mug club  because of the size.  Sometimes you can fine nice mugs at tj max or the Roth stores.

can someone post pics of the glasses they get from the dollar tree??.. i dont really see anything on their website that will work for etching..??..

thanks

Threezzz,

Give me a few seconds. I've bought literally HUNDREDS from them because a couple years ago I went nuts doing tons of etching. They are AMAZING for etching. Very heavy, not cheap like most of their glasses... 

• Like 1

These are a few I have done from glasses that were bought from the Dollar Store.

They aren't bad for a buck.

Butchpost-84978-0-56261200-1398305975_thumb.jpost-84978-0-59344700-1398306002_thumb.jpost-84978-0-55553400-1398306020_thumb.jpost-84978-0-11621900-1398306041_thumb.j

• Like 2

Never tried it but I have been thinking of picking some up

Butch

and if memory serves me (not sure where you are) but our local dollar tree where I used to live and get them said they can order them for you. The glasses are heavy as hell, nice and smooth - perfect for etching.  I have etched a couple hundred of them over the years and everyone ALWAYS raves on the quality of those pub glasses.  They'd probably CRAP if I told them they were dollar store ones. I sold them for $15 each or 2 for $25.  Then if they wanted a color (Rub and Buff) it was $2.00 more per glass.  UPSELL BABY!

• Like 1

Never tried it but I have been thinking of picking some up

Butch

Honestly, the stuff works VERY well.  It doesn't stick to the smooth glass, but that etched part grabs it.  Just gotta really buff the smooth part of the glass to get the "swirly's" off but only took a couple minutes with a nice soft old T-shirt or microfiber cloth. Stuff will last forever since you only need a little bit.  Definitely want to let them know to hand wash though.  

I've done a lot of Full Wine Bottles as gifts for people (wedding, anniversary) over the year and the Silver and Gold REALLY pops on the dark wine bottles.  I did one on a bottle of wine and it's on our counter.  Wife doesn't know it but I secretly did it so I'd never forget our anniversary.. hahaha  (told her it was a test).   :) 

Wine Bottles (or Champagne) make excellent gifts for getting into Wedding Shows.  People will go gaga over them at the Bridal shows or just advertise on Craigslist or something.  I would definitely do darker bottles. I just soaked them in warm water to get the bigger label on (left the top one) and once it was all done, just reverse weed vinyl and hit it in the sandblasting cabinet.  Never bothered with the heavy masks.  Never had an issue.  Just Cheap vinyl and application tape the rest of the bottle.

Their beer mugs are pretty heavy duty. Worth way more than $1, but don't tell them that.

• Like 1

OK. I officially miss my sandblast cabinet now... 

Dollar store also has some glass dishes where you can do sayings on (think they still sell the cheap little stands too).  I've done a handful of those, and even picture frames where it's matted. 

Time to check out Harbor Freight to see when they're putting a cabinet and pressure pot on sale again... lol

• Like 1

oh oh... flashbacks ... lol... i just got all the stuff a few weeks ago and now cant find any of the 1.00 mugs or 1.00 glasses anywhere... walmart had a clearance on all of their glasses and now gone and family tree and nothing for mugs/glasses..

You have more than one dollar tree around you?  if not, chat with them about ordering a case.  Where you located at?  

by south dakota.. i see on the websirte u can have glasses shipped to store and picked up but there is not much to choose from... my drive to them is 25 miles and whenever i go there its just odds and ends selections

South Dakota? Where's that?    >:D

You may want to call them - may not be on the site

http://deals.dollartree.com/drinkware/drinkware/Famous-Maker-Tall-Glass-Dayton-Beer-Mugs-22-oz-/527c527c527p345828/index.pro

check out the reviews - some folks show etched pics (I don't care for these but people are etching them)

I wanna say the one I have is like 24oz or 30 oz or something.  I'm pretty sure I have seen them around up here in Vermont.  You may have better luck calling them.  

These would work, and actually - I think you may be able to get more mileage with these.

The ones I posted are straight up BEER MUG - nothing else.  These could be marketed as Beer Mugs OR Coffee Mugs with all the funny coffee sayings.

just a thought but it looks like this is very etchable like the other ones

http://www.dollartree.com/household/kitchen-dining/Mugs/Famous-Maker-Clear-Glass-Mugs-9-frac34-/500c526c1110p346009/index.pro