Sign in to follow this  
DecalOriented

Moving into the shirt realm. Advice and answers needed.

Cut vinyl and printing has been good to us but I'm turning away a lot of business with not producing shirts. That being said I've decided to start dye sub and silk screening. So I have some questions to ensure I don't feel I need bigger/better equipment in a few months. I want to buy right the first time.

For dye sub, which printer is recommended most for both versatility and operation cost? Affordable inks, upgradable paper size, etc.

For screen printing, I'm torn between a 6 color, 4 station and an 8 color, 6 station. How often are jobs more than 6 colors? It's not a terribly large difference in price but I don't want to be stuck with a Hummer when I only need an S10.

What have you found in screen printing was your biggest expense?

Any additional advice is welcome as well.

I do all of the above! ..

and i would get for a dye sub printer

http://www.uscutter.com/Dye-Sublimation-Printer-Ricoh-SG-7100DN  * I wish i would of got that one i got the 8.5x14 one instead :(

And for screen printing i went the cheap rout and got

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/silk-screening-kit-4-color   $999

But i wish i would of got the 4 color 2 station to flash my items a lot easier!

I have about 19 screens and wish i had a few more!.. and i would upgrade to a good exposure unit.. i would not recommend the over head light for exposing spend the little extra and get a good one and a good printer to make your negatives! or just use Black HTV :)

I just orderd my exposure unit today the $199 one 16x20 screens

That is my 2 cents!

After 17 years of using transfers and sub-contracting the large print orders, I sold 15 year old equipment from another business and purchased all new screen printing equipment. The manual is a Workhorse 6 color-4 station. In 17 years of selling sportswear, I have never had an order for more than 4 colors. But, it depends on your market and your target customer.

The dryer is a Vastex EconoRed 1 54, infrared curing system. I recommend purchasing a belt extension so you don’t have to wait for shirts to go thru the dryer.

Everything depends on what you want to spend. The above were the most expensive items.

As for ink, I recommend Wilflex Bright Tiger white. It is expensive, but the coverage saves both time and ink. For other colors, we use Union and a local distributors brand without any problems.

• Like 1

I use a 6x6... it is nice when you have a 4 color process on black and need a white underbase...

• Like 1