Sign in to follow this  
Fatboy

Copam 3050 not cutting straight lines, question not answered.

Hello okay so I'm going to try and provide you with as much information as i can . 

I have a copam 3050

it cuts everything beautifully i suppose except for when i need to make a cut going from (Right to Left)

I will try to cut out a simple rectangle and all the cuts come out good except for when the machine trys to go from right to left.

It just skips like as if the blade is dragging through the vinyl instead of gliding and cutting like normal.

All the other cuts are perfect, Any suggestions at all?

I have a new cutting strip on there and I've adjusted the blade accordingly so thats not the problem.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

2 guesses - blade isn't spinning freely in the holder so look for any bits of vinyl in there and put a drop of lightweight oil like 3 in 1 in the holder.  other thing is could be a broken tip so try a new blade

when you say you adjusted the blade accordingly - you took the holder out and adjusted it by that method right (not the 1/2 credit card length that is totally wrong) cause too much blade will do this also sometimes

usc has a sale on the pressure rollers right now for your machine - they have been known to break from time to time and being the copam hasn't been updated in 12 years it might now be a bad idea to have on hand in case they do change or quit making them.  1/2 price right now!

https://uscutter.com/vinyl-cutter-parts/

2 guesses - blade isn't spinning freely in the holder so look for any bits of vinyl in there and put a drop of lightweight oil like 3 in 1 in the holder.  other thing is could be a broken tip so try a new blade

but my question is why only does it cut right to right but if i do a straight line going from left to right it cuts perfectly 

when you say you adjusted the blade accordingly - you took the holder out and adjusted it by that method right (not the 1/2 credit card length that is totally wrong) cause too much blade will do this also sometimes

usc has a sale on the pressure rollers right now for your machine - they have been known to break from time to time and being the copam hasn't been updated in 12 years it might now be a bad idea to have on hand in case they do change or quit making them.  1/2 price right now!

http://www.uscutter.com/Pinch-Roller-For-COPAM-Vinyl-Cutter

Yeah i did the method where i adjust it and cut a piece of scrap vinyl to make sure its not cutting the backing sheet. 

I even have my machine on the lowest setting possible. 

but my question is why only does it cut right to right but if i do a straight line going from left to right it cuts perfectly 

blade not rotating freely is my guess - we have solved many people having the same problems with this suggestion - if you don't try it we can't eliminate that as a possibility 

did you replace that old blade you have been using since October yet?

these suggestions were replied to in your other post on the same thing - did you try them yet?

did you replace that old blade you have been using since October yet?

these suggestions were replied to in your other post on the same thing - did you try them yet?

Yeah I'm waiting on my new order of blades to come in, they should be here on monday! 

I ordered 45 degree and the 60 degree blade combo. Hopefully this helps. 

It sucks having this problem, Im happy that you responded thou a lot of people just read and never respond

• Like 1

Some of us are not as learned as Dakotagrafix :)

I read a lot of the problems so in case I have the same problem I may be able to fix it without asking...or help someone at a later date.

Butch

• Like 1

did you check the holder for bits of vinyl and add the drop of light weight oil?

outlaws - I have just been thru a lot of the problems myself and have read just about every post on here for years - skeeter is very good also!

• Like 3

did you check the holder for bits of vinyl and add the drop of light weight oil?

yeah, I've taken apart the blade holder and cleaned it out made it spic and span lol 

The oil that i had was WD40 thats what i used. Is there something better i should be using? 

that should work - wd 40 is actually a solvent with a little oil in it so I prefer any of the lightweight oils myself but as far as your problem goes that should work fine.   if you have a jewelers loupe you can look at the blade tip to check it but after 6 months on a chinese blade it is time for a new one

Until you can try a new blade, your not going to know for sure what the problem is.  I am totally confused, as to why you waited so long to order blades. That is a must have item.  That is like having a car, but don't want to buy the gas.  You should always have new blades on hand..  You can break a tip off very easily.  Then your screwed.    

• Like 2

good point skeeter  - personally I like Michelin tires too and avoid the cheapest stuff the place has when replacing tires - with blades I figure that is the most important consumable in a cutter and why would I go with the cheapest thing out there when it is the most important part on the cutter (along with the motors of course) 

• Like 1

Mine does the same thing on right to left, straight-line cuts also. Cleaned the blade holder, put some PB blaster on bearing, put a new 60 degree blade in, adjusted pressure, speed and blade depth...still had the same problem. Put a new 45 degree blade in, fixed it. No skipping or chattering issues at all....not sure why but it may be worth a shot if you haven't tried a 45.

• Like 1

Mine does the same thing on right to left, straight-line cuts also. Cleaned the blade holder, put some PB blaster on bearing, put a new 60 degree blade in, adjusted pressure, speed and blade depth...still had the same problem. Put a new 45 degree blade in, fixed it. No skipping or chattering issues at all....not sure why but it may be worth a shot if you haven't tried a 45.
the 45 drags further back from the centerline of the holder, might think about a new holder if the 60 doesn't spin freely enough. The 45 would have more drag and a better chance of spinning I would guess. In time the 45 will do it too if that is the case. I love pb blast but it is a penetrant more than a lub. Just some thoughts

Thanks for the info. Forgot to mention, it is a new blade holder as well. The bearing on my old one became unseated and wouldnt stay pressed in. Actually it is a pretty good lubricant since it doesn't really evaporate (might take a day or two to find it on the extremely detailed can, lol). But when i use that on the bearing, it free-wheels longer than anything i've tried. I can hold the tip of the blade and give the holder a spin and she goes....which is probably the cause for the bearing unseating in the original..haha.

• Like 1

that or a solvent in the pb attacking any adhesive in the holder that might have held the magnet in the aluminum holder - the reason I always advise a good lightweight lube without anything else

• Like 1

Yea, that's a good point. It is some pretty powerful stuff, but man does it work. If something doesn't break free with that stuff. the only option left is heat.

• Like 2

I agree that pb blast is the best for breaking loose those rusted parts - not so good for precision instruments though

Okay so this is where we are at so far.. 

New cutting strip

New blades

New blade holder

customer support or tech support was a whole lot of not help… 

STILL WONT CUT LINES GOING RIGHT FROM LEFT… 

Any more suggestions on me buying more parts? 

I'm seeing this problem with a lot of copam plotters. 

do they just mess up after time? this is the 4th post I've seen about this same problem and still no answers.

With the replacements you made (blade, holder, cutting strip) it's likely the problem is not there.

Can you see that the blade/holder are actually going down and trying to cut on a Left to Right pass.

Trying to find if it is possibily not getting the command right (from the motherboard).

Could static be a possibility? Is a keyspan needed?

What's changed since it was cutting correctly?

hmm, no change really in anything. 

Just one day boom started messing up on cuts and then now it just straight up won't finish through, it almost looks like its dragging the blade across the vinyl. Its such a bummer.