Sign in to follow this  
blackpaws

Question about sublimation

I'm interested in coating my own stuff and making my own signs. Let's say I print a 11" square image that's just wording, but the sign is 12"x24", will you see the edges or lines where the paper ends? Also, does it show up as clear, or white, where it doesn't print? 

It is clear - the only part that transfers is the printed ink, so no ink = no transfer.   The ink turns to gas (sublimates) when it's exposed to high temperatures.  The pressure keeps the gas from escaping and going in all directions - once in gaseous form, it is strongly attracted to non-natural materials, specifically polyester, and will chemically bond to the polyester and change it's color.  There is no transfer medium like in a JPSS or 3G Opaque type transfer - only the ink moves from the printed page to the final substrate.

• Like 4

I DID sign once and you could definetly see where the paper was. distinct lines that you could see. maybe i have cheap paper or too much heat? i'm still learning myself.

FINALLY pulled the trigger! I just got the smaller printer. I really wanted the larger one, but being that I'm not quite sure what I'm going to make yet, who's going to buy it, and if I'm even going to like doing this or not, I figured the smaller one is good enough to get me started! Very excited for this new adventure. 

FINALLY pulled the trigger! I just got the smaller printer. I really wanted the larger one, but being that I'm not quite sure what I'm going to make yet, who's going to buy it, and if I'm even going to like doing this or not, I figured the smaller one is good enough to get me started! Very excited for this new adventure. 
make sure you don't put in the regular ink. Just get sublimation ink. You well be doing purges for hrs and wasting sub ink. I have a 13x19 printer and a 17" I don't use the 17"much but the other all the time. I use the 17"when doing sub socks.