LFleshman

Cutting the heat transfer vinyl with MH Series cutter

I cannot get this cutter to cut through the glitter vinyl that I want to use to make a t-shirt.  Cuts perfectly fine with the adhesive vinyl.   I have even tried to cut it 3 times.  It does not stay in line when I do that and still does not cut through it.  Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? 

Are you sure your not trying to cut the wrong side? Perhaps trying to cut threw on the backing?

I think that is what I was doing wrong.  Do you have to weed around your image with this heat vinyl like you have to with the adhesive vinyl before I iron onto my shirt?  It's pretty difficult to peel off of that clear (shiny side) of it.  I guess I really need to find a good video.

You cut heat transfer vinyl on the dull side. Also make sure your design is mirrored before cutting. Yes, you do weed it very similar to adhesive vinyl.

Thanks for all of the help!  I have taken of you y'alls advise.  It's really difficult to weed the vinyl off of the clear side so I can iron it.    I have a feeling I will be wasting a lot of vinyl trying "get good" at this!

I have a feeling I will be wasting a lot of vinyl trying "get good" at this!

I think you will be surprised. It does take just a little getting dialed in but it's nice because that sticky carrier lets you cut as small as your cutter can do accurately without any worry of the design peeling up or being impossible to weed. You do have to get a good grip and really pull to weed it but if you have cut the dull side in mirrored/reverse image then you can PULL without worry. The carrier is also tough enough that a little over pressure won't effect anything so if you are cutting into that clear stuff it's not as big of no-no as on regular vinyl. 

There are some brands of vinyl that don't have the sticky carrier and you have to be a little more particular that you don't accidentally pull up something you want to keep or you will be having a little more fun trying to apply it. 

Finally got it!  It seems that anything I t over 12", the vinyl wrinkles and messes up my cut.  Anything smaller works fine!  Anyone know how to fix that?

Glad flipping it over helped you out, couldn't be to many things and that was the next to check. Don't forget to mirror your image also for shirts etc.

Also agree with the others that you can get way more detail out of an image with heat press material rather than normal vinyl. The is a small learning curve but not a bad one and also there are a few really good clips on utube for folks doing a walk threw step by step. You'll catch on hang in there.

There are some brands of vinyl that don't have the sticky carrier and you have to be a little more particular that you don't accidentally pull up something you want to keep or you will be having a little more fun trying to apply it. 

Siser VideoFlex Glitter is like that - It's kind of nice in that it's not sticking to your hands while you're trying to weed it, but if you accidentally pull up something that was supposed to stay down, then you're SOL as there is no adhesive to put it back down with...  Just cut four more shirts out of that last night and pressed them tonight - it's a pleasure to work with, as long as you pay attention and don't pull the wrong bits off the carrier!

Just finished making a monogramed glitter shirt for my niece.  Turned out awesome!  Thanks so much for your help. 

• Like 3

Glad it all worked out for you. Did you use a heat press or iron it on? I've heard easyweed goes on...well...easy :blink:  with an iron.

Nice thread.

Lots of very vital advice for heat-transfer work.

Gold stars for everyone !!!

goldstars.jpg

• Like 1

Let's finish it out with some pics of the shirt you did!  :) 

I have been wanting to see what that looks like on some shirts...

Siser VideoFlex Glitter is like that - It's kind of nice in that it's not sticking to your hands while you're trying to weed it, but if you accidentally pull up something that was supposed to stay down, then you're SOL as there is no adhesive to put it back down with...  Just cut four more shirts out of that last night and pressed them tonight - it's a pleasure to work with, as long as you pay attention and don't pull the wrong bits off the carrier!

A little tiny bit of spray glue like Wilflex will hold it in place. Just cold peel so it doesn't pull up with the liner.

Are you sure your not trying to cut the wrong side? Perhaps trying to cut threw on the backing?

been there done that LOL ops  when i pull HTV out of my scrap pile it happens most LOL