ShowMeCleaning

Green Star VS Oracal 651 751

Does Oracal 651 or 751 weed easier than green star?? And why does everyone like Oracal better?? I'm a newbie and finding small letter or small cuts to really be hard to weed with green star. Is it true or is it just me.

Oracal weeds great, as long as you have your cutter  set up correctly.  I think Greenstar is thick and stiff.  

I'm weeding green star going to buy Oracal. I'm weed small letters which I did state in first thread.

Sorry I missed the small letters.   Depending on how small of letters. Some cutters will require a lot of fine tuning to cut real small,  and a 60 degree blade

• Like 1

Small is relative. What size letters are you working with?

That isn't really too small. In my experience Oracal weeded easier than Greenstar but blade setting has more impact on weeding than anything else. If it's hard to separate the blade may not be quite deep enough but if the points are popping up on their own you probably have your blade too deep. Mzskeeter has posted a great set of instructions for setting blade and I would start there before laying all the blame on the vinyl.

here ya go

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 1

Oracal weeds great once u get your blade and cutter dialed in. The only issue i have it seems some colors need more pressure.

Just did a motorcycle show on Saturday. Did a cross and rose decal in white, weeded it easily, switched to black..it sucked , had to crank up the pressure 2 notches..then it weeded perfectly.

Jaybird, its me I know.

No matter what it is always blame the machine. Works for me :) I changed my blade last week and spent 45 minutes getting it to cut chrome right and I have changed dozens of blades so I just blame my cutter.

• Like 1

support say set blade pressure between 80 and 100. When I do that sounds like a wood pecker or and 6 cly rock arm tapping. I cut it back to 40 it cuts the fine. Could it be strip??

I've cutting at 40 pressure. there is kinda a small area that feels some what gougie.  The letters are pretty thin. And think that may be the real problem.

I've cutting at 40 pressure. there is kinda a small area that feels some what gougie.  The letters are pretty thin. And think that may be the real problem.

Could be. Time Roman and Old English still give me trouble from time to time. As far as settings go they are guidelines and require tweaking for each machine. No 2 are exactly the same.

As far as Oracal vinyl I use 651 and 751 almost exclusively. The 651 is very slightly thicker and definitely tougher or stiffer however you want to look at it and requires a bit more pressure. not much bat a little more. If you don't then it will still weed but you can actually hear the vinyl ripping apart at the cut (if you listen closely, especially on larger pieces) The 751 is real nice but like Jaybird says you need your blade set correctly or you will have issues with whatever vinyl you try to use. 

I find the premium vinyl to always weed and apply easier. 651 is a calandered film 751 is cast and somewhat thinner and more pliable. I have no idea on greenstar never had or used it. I have used other intermediate and premium and most seem close to the same atributes. I like 3m but cant justify the cost other then reflective. Oracal seems to pretty much be the industry standard with 3m being the prefered brand specified in most specs for commerical signs and lettering. There is plenty of info on line on the different brands and grades of vinyls and there are several plus house brands like greenstar. I use mostly premium vinyl and if the cutter is dialed in ( I have a p-cut ) correctly most cuts other then very intricate designs are mostly a one pull weed.

i use the 651.... with only 26 pressure...works great and never have a problem... i have noticed a few colors are a bit different in cutting with pressure not nothing major..

i use the 651.... with only 26 pressure...works great and never have a problem... i have noticed a few colors are a bit different in cutting with pressure not nothing major..

Any vinyl can be different cutting even the same color and brand from another roll that is the reason to do test cuts and adjust if needed when changing colors or rolls it takes 5 seconds and may save you a few feet of vinyl.

• Like 2