Vermonster

Epson Printers - Keeping em from clogging/drying from Lack of Use

Hi,

Quick question about this.  I've done a ton of reading on why it happens, but what's the preferred method to keep them from clogging/drying from lack of use?

Cleaning the heads?  Printing a test page? etc?

I'm looking at possibly either writing either a little program or macro that can be scheduled to run periodically so I don't forget to do and want to see what the recommendation is.

Clean Cycle, Print Something, etc?  How often is it recommended? Every 2 days, 3 days, etc?

There are programs on the market that do just what you described and print a page at a predefined time. Personally over the weekend is as long as I ever let my epson sit anymore after killing a handful of wf1100's and c88's.

After going through 2 WF 1000`s

I went to a Color Laser printer don`t worry about ink drying or clogging.

mark-s

• Like 2

several have used this program " Harvey Head Cleaner" - I know of at least one that went ricoh after using it for a while and till getting clogs

I did away with ink jet printers years ago for this reason.  I currently have  laser printer also.

As far as what could be done to prevent the clogging of the print heads, if you run a cleaning session or print a page every so often it wastes ink and paper and it doesn't alway work.  So I don't know what the answer is. 

Maybe if the heads could sit in a bath of cleaning solution when not in use and ink is constanly pumpes through the heads above the sloinoids. 

It's a costly problem with inkjet printers of the office size and I can only imagine what the costs are when you have a printer with a print carriage the size of a toaster.    

I'm using an epson for shirt transfers and general office stuff right now and it's over a year with no clog but I use it almost daily. Best advice is don't let them sit.

• Like 1

they all need to use gell ink like the ricohs - reformulate - problem solved

• Like 2

Too bad they won't come off the price of that gel ink though.

I use the ricoh 3110 as my offine printer and transfers. The gel cartridges for it are only $10 pr color. Thought that is reasonable.

I use the ricoh 3110 as my offine printer and transfers. The gel cartridges for it are only $10 pr color. Thought that is reasonable.

You know I never even thought about using a ricoh for regular printing. Price seems reasonable.

Are you doing tshirt transfers with it? Needing to get a bigger sub printer and I'm probably going with epson due to cost but may switch my 3300 back to regular ink if it works well for shirt prints.

Yes I do transfers they turn out as good as any other I've seen with a ink jet printer. Everybody tells me that a laser printer works better.

I have a PDF file I created that contains text, a series of gradient color swatches, a rainbow blend and a grayscale blend, plus a couple of black shapes.  I keep a copy on all my PCs and on my phone so I can print it any time from anywhere - I only run the test page once per week.  

I use my WF Pro 4020 often enough that I don't worry about it usually, but the WF7520 and the 1400 both get a weekly test page - which reminds me, I need to buy another ream of tabloid sized paper for the 7520 - I ordered a case of 1500 sheets of 13x19" from Staples this week when it was on sale, but even on sale it's a little pricey for test pages...

The only time I had a serious clog issue was when I left my WF1100 sitting unused for over a month - it required some manual head flushing, but after that it worked ok.  Cobra Ink sells the supplies for clearing a clogged head.

• Like 1

Just ordered a 7510 last night after talking to a club about large 3G transfers. Going to order the cobra ink cis kit before the factory cartridges run out and do the conversion.

Just ordered a 7510 last night after talking to a club about large 3G transfers. Going to order the cobra ink cis kit before the factory cartridges run out and do the conversion.

I think you'll be happy with it!  I'm loving my 7520 so far.  It's not nearly as useful as one of those nice 30-60" eco-sol printers would be, but once people find out you can print larger pages, there is money to be made there.  This was my 3rd CISS kit to install, but it was by far the easiest because the printer is big and has lots of room to work inside.   

This will be my first install of a cobra kit. I used to order them ready to go but I don't see it being a big deal. Almost bought the 7520 but honestly I'd keep printing from the wrong tray anyways so I decided to keep it simple.

The only reason(s) I chose to go with the 7520 over the 7510 were for the duplexer for printing/scanning double-sided, and to avoid saying "dang it, I should have spent a few dollars more" later.

If all you're going to do is print 11x17" t-shirt transfers, then there is nothing wrong with the 7510 as you won't even need those other features...

yeah it'll be the new go to for transfers and probably just general printing instead of my 435 all in one which only does 8.5 prints. May see my 435 for sale soon if I like the new printer.

Jaybird, will the factory ink cartridges work for sublimating?  I have a WF3520. What is the best procedure? And can you use and Iron for heat? My curiosity is peaked and can't invest a lot more into this just yet.

Butch

Factory won't work for sublimating but they work great for tshirt transfers like Jet Pro and 3G Opaques (for dark shirts).

Factory won't work for sublimating but they work great for tshirt transfers like Jet Pro and 3G Opaques (for dark shirts).

Well looks like I will have to spend some more money. It will be a little while before I get the heat press. So before I order the CISS I will get back with you on suggestions.

Thanks

Butch

Jaybird, will the factory ink cartridges work for sublimating?  I have a WF3520. What is the best procedure? And can you use and Iron for heat? My curiosity is peaked and can't invest a lot more into this just yet.

You need special high-temp inks for sublimation and you really need a heat press.  Sublimation relies on a combination of exact heat and pressure and it would be extremely difficult to replicate that with a hand iron.

You can buy refillable cartridges from Cobra Ink and fill them with their high-temp inks (not advertised on the website, you have to call and ask), I don't think they make a CISS kit for the 3520, but you might want to ask when you call.

Thanks OW. Ordered a cheap press off ebay today. I know I have a lot to learn. 

Butch