kauffman21

Some glass etchings

Finally got off my lazy butt and did what I had to do to practice on some glass. Made these for a family friend on the $1.98 walmart beer mugs. Used the 70 grit AO from harbor freight. Like everyone said, I am now addicted. I'm liking this 70 grit in the blasting cabinet a lot better than the 220 with the air eraser. 1st thing the wife said was..."great, now nothing in the house is safe!" Then she started talking about her name on wine glasses LOL

post-23801-0-81760200-1397371441_thumb.j

post-23801-0-71404900-1397371450_thumb.j

• Like 2

Nice work K5, now talk the owner into starting a mug club and sell him some mugs. I have done some for a couple of bars.

• Like 2

Welcome to the club!  Nice work... and Bob, how does the mug club work?

Cal

Nice. Ive got some of those from walmart too. They have two sizes.

Also..how does one go about pricing this stuff?

I figured $2 for the mug, $2 for the vinyl, $1 or so for the sand usage. Now we are at about $5 invested. So maybe sell for $10?

Cal I get $20.00 a piece for one off mugs where I live. If I am doing 12 or more I drop the price to15.00. The way I do the mug club for the bars is on orders of 1 dozen or more I put their logo and a number on each mug. The bar sells them for 20.00 and the charge a flat fee to fill them. One bar has them on a shelf and when the person comes in they grab their mug and get draft beer for 2.00 a mug. It keeps the regulars coming back. I don't use the 24 oz for the mug clubs. I use a 15 oz. Anchor or Libby mug. They cost me about 3.00 a piece.

$20 a piece? Damn.

Two years ago when i got married i ordered some big mugs for my groomsman with their names etched in, $14 each. Of course this was way before i had the means to do it myself..

Gc go into some of the small gift shops and check the prices on those wine glasses that are hand painted by a six year old and see the price on them. Around here they get between 20-30.00 each. The one you bought for the groomsman were probably laser etched.

Gc go into some of the small gift shops and check the prices on those wine glasses that are hand painted by a six year old and see the price on them. Around here they get between 20-30.00 each. The one you bought for the groomsman were probably laser etched.

Yeah they were laser etched.

So youre telling me they got 6year olds painting wine glasses? Lol

Thanks for the info Bob.  That is a very cool idea and one I might try and steal from you...

Thinking as a customer, I might rather have my name than just a number on my mug!  Maybe a little more customization, a little more fee...

Cal

Cal I did some with their name on it but the bar wanted some there already so they could sell them. If you have to put a name on each it gets to be a pain and every one will end up being custom. What I mean is if you etch several and give them to the bar then you have to go back and get the mug and etch then return it. You end up loosing money at that point.

Nice. Ive got some of those from walmart too. They have two sizes.

Also..how does one go about pricing this stuff?

I figured $2 for the mug, $2 for the vinyl, $1 or so for the sand usage. Now we are at about $5 invested. So maybe sell for $10?

TWO dollars for a mug? Are you rich or something?

You can get nice, heavy glass mugs (and pilsner glasses and more) for $1 each at Dollar Tree. WalMart has nice HUGE mugs for $4 each.

Don't forget design time and labor. I wouldn't go any less than $10 for custom mugs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snickersjack said:

73084_5304343101600_a4b226b1_b8bd_42ea_a

Here is my custom mug! Price is $5!

That is your first post?

You are trying to sell mugs to us?

What do you think we do here?

Maybe you have shirts and signs for sale?

• Like 1