sluggo2u

Dragging layers

Did a search but did not see anything.

Stumbled on something in Scalp last night cutting a 7 color graphic. It may be something only I did not know but I'll share it just in case.

My layers were not showing in the proper order in cut by color even though they did in the main editor. So I tried dragging the layers around like you would in photoshop and it worked.

This is probably a totally stupid response and I'm sorry but if you are cutting by color what difference does it make?

• Like 1

Not stupid by any means. I guess that would have been my response as well not knowing what was going on at the time.

I was making a multi layer cut for a client and doing screenshots from the cut by color dialog box to make a set of instructions on which order to place the layers and what reg marks were in use.

Did not make much sense to say the black text shadow layer goes over the green layer and then have the picture show it hidden under the green layer. 

I find it rather interesting that someone had the forethought to enable you to drag layers to re-order them in the cut by color dialog box but not make the dialog box itself display at a usable size without resizing it. Let alone it not retaining your preferred size once you do resize it.

Gotcha. I wasn't trying to be a wise acre, (although I often am.) I would be that the functionality of dragging layers is more of a coincidental side effect of the other parts of that particular part of the program because you might be the first I have ever heard of using it to that end. You're going to end up being a SCALP guru if you keep it up. 

When using SCALP3 my colors are layers displayed on the right of the screen. I can close the eyes on the ones not cutting so to cut one color at a time. Opening all eyes shows the layers stacked as lines in preview. I guess one would describe as cut by color when selecting that layer. If the weed box is not grouped with it's color one can mistakenly move an object in the weed box and mess up your cut.

So your seven color Object would have 14 layers counting weed boxes. Only seven if the colors are grouped with a box. After grouping with a weed box they can be rotated and position to maximize your matt with less waste of vinyl.

I don't typically use weed boxes. If I feel I need one I will draw an unfilled box around my object in illustrator and make the path the same color as the cut so it stays with the color being cut. I use Scalp's shape library (asterisks) for registration marks. Just put them where i want them then change their color to something not in the palette of the artwork and turn their layer on and off in cut by color as I see fit.

Makes perfect sense to me. 

As far as becoming a scalp guru, I'm afraid my scalp'n days are numbered. Got my sights set on a FC8000.

• Like 1

I don't typically use weed boxes. If I feel I need one I will draw an unfilled box around my object in illustrator and make the path the same color as the cut so it stays with the color being cut. I use Scalp's shape library (asterisks) for registration marks. Just put them where i want them then change their color to something not in the palette of the artwork and turn their layer on and off in cut by color as I see fit.

Makes perfect sense to me. 

As far as becoming a scalp guru, I'm afraid my scalp'n days are numbered. Got my sights set on a FC8000.

AWESOME choice,  of a cutter.,,,  You can't go wrong there.,