tgbvinyl

RC airplane/drone banner -HELP-

I am working on something for my friends hobby store, they want banners to be pulled by an RC airplane, and to hang from the bottom of a drone for advertising.  I am looking for ideas, What material should I use for banner, and which vinyl?  Light weight needed

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Probably something very lightweight like Nylon. You can probably get it from a fabric store. If you do go with Nylon, you would need to use heat press vinyl, sign vinyl would not stick to it.

Or maybe you could use some white butcher paper and that of course you could use regular sign vinyl.

Probably something very lightweight like Nylon. You can probably get it from a fabric store. If you do go with Nylon, you would need to use heat press vinyl, sign vinyl would not stick to it.

Or maybe you could use some white butcher paper and that of course you could use regular sign vinyl.

Thanks! I didn't think about the butcher paper! I had the idea of using heat transfer on a lightweight fabric.  I just done have a hear press so I was looking for other options first. 

The owner suggested mylar, but I don't know how that would work either.

Having owned a Parrot AR Drone, I'm not going to say this is impossible, but I am going to say it's going to be pretty darn tricky.  Between having the material (which needs to be light weight) not getting sucked into the props, to having it stand out enough as slow as they go to have it visualized.

Is it supposed to be like the planes at the beach you see in the summer?

I'd see it being more possible doing something vertical than horizontal.  Not trying to be a nay sayer, and maybe it would work, but in my mind, I'd have some concerns (if I owned the guinea pig drone)  lol

If you get it going - definitely take some pics!

• Like 1

Having owned a Parrot AR Drone, I'm not going to say this is impossible, but I am going to say it's going to be pretty darn tricky.  Between having the material (which needs to be light weight) not getting sucked into the props, to having it stand out enough as slow as they go to have it visualized.

Is it supposed to be like the planes at the beach you see in the summer?

I'd see it being more possible doing something vertical than horizontal.  Not trying to be a nay sayer, and maybe it would work, but in my mind, I'd have some concerns (if I owned the guinea pig drone)  lol

If you get it going - definitely take some pics!

haha It's going to be very difficult, but these guys have attached a $30k or so Epic Red camera to the bottom of a multi-roator.  (they built their own multi-roators) and I believe are building one for the job. I think it'll be hard to read but I'll do what I can for them.I'll definitely post photos when i figure it out, and eye it is supposed to be like the planes at the beach during the summer.

Cool, interested in seeing them. Good luck! 

Oh, maybe something like the old Parachute pants (oh god - did I just show my age?)  Swoosh swoosh

If you want it to last, cuben fiber would be the way to go. Find someone that makes either sails or backpacking tarps and/or hammocks, they might have a small strip you could use. I'd use the thinnest vinyl you can get, although putting it on a cutting mat and using a sharpie holder would be even better. (Didn't think, cuben is mostly transparent, would only be readable from one side, but so are regular air banners.) It is 2 layers of mylar with kevlar fibers sandwiched between. You can poke little holes in it, but you won't rip it. You could glue or tape a very thin dowel piece on the trailing end to keep it weighted a bit and vertical. 

If you couldn't find cuben in time, maybe a strip of tyvek? very light, yet stiff enough to trail straight without too much flutter. I'd even try cutting the tyvek itself (on a mat) so the letters show through. 

Not sure if either would really work, but it's what I'd try first. Hope it helps, take a video and share it here, cool project.

***I just remembered some fabric that I have upstairs, it's a very thin ripstop nylon (the parachute pants reminded me.... *shiver)- something like that could be cut with a hot knife and rigged and weighted with VHB tape.

Cool, interested in seeing them. Good luck! 

Oh, maybe something like the old Parachute pants (oh god - did I just show my age?)  Swoosh swoosh

I still have my parachute pants!

I think you guys are seriously underestimating the power of some of these planes! And vinyl doesn't weigh that much! I think mylar would work just fine. I believe that is what they use to cover the wings on the planes. They should have tons of it in the shop.

And those quad copters are stupid strong! Or could be. They have a weightlifting competition for them! 

Try a bunch of things and see what is the easiest to work with.

bannerimg.jpg

That last plane is a super light weight plane used to fly indoors if I remeber correctly. The picture above is most likely what they are trying to do. Anything relatively light weight will work.

• Like 1