iamandy

Contour cutting phototex

I'm looking to purchase a new plotter reality soon. Can anyone suggest a good one that can do contour cutting as well as being able to cut materials such as phototex? 

Phototex doesn't cut very well because it's a fabric. It's like trying to cut fabric with a knife, you can do it, but it's a lot easier with a pair of scissors. I've heard a Summa cutter, with the true tangenal blade does pretty good with it.

• Like 1

I've only contour cut one Phototex decal so far with my Graphtec, but it cut just fine.

Why Contour cut Phototex?

mark-s

Depends on the graphic and if the whole wall is being covered or not.

• Like 1

I have a friend that wants some printed decals made and I don't have the time/assets to invest in solvent printing. I do have phototex and thought I'd give that a try. 

Does anyone know of any other easily removable material that can be printed on inkjet?

Print it, and cut it. Worth a try, if you already have it. If it doesn't cut so great, break out the scissors.

It may do OK depending on the complexity of the contour.

Avery used to make some removable aqueous vinyl, but I don't know if they still have it.

Hello,   So we have 100's of printers that do nothing but process cutout on Photo Tex material all day - every day, but you need the right blade, slow the speed, overlap and has to be a sharp knife as yes this is a fabric. We own 2 Offline cutters a Roland GX-400/600 and so we know to use a 60 Degree Carbide blade.  But you can always e-mail me and I can try to help   walterjr@phototexgroup.com  www.phototexgroup.com    Walter Gierlach Jr. , President 

• Like 1

I cut phototex all the time, never had any problem with it, just slow it down adjust pressure/depth and away you go. 

Thanks for all the input! I'm going to give it a try when my new cutter arrives. I'll let you know how I fair. 

OK..I'll bite...Inkjet, Thermal or? I mean I have 1 new thermal untested on such material..first I heard of it...been in the closet all these yrs..

ok..Never mind, yall had my mind workin on something but since no thermal no problem, leave all that stuff up to the youngon's..I will just keep create'in my vinyl stuff..

On 4/10/2014 at 9:55 PM, mopar691 said:

I cut phototex all the time, never had any problem with it, just slow it down adjust pressure/depth and away you go. 

what blade do you use exactly? I have a graphtec 6000 and a CB15UA-5 blade. Its not doing well with intricate cuts.

3 minutes ago, Anetski said:

what blade do you use exactly? I have a graphtec 6000 and a CB15UA-5 blade. Its not doing well with intricate cuts.

this thread hasn't been active in 5 years - you could be waiting a long time for them to answer - I would try your cb09 blade holder with the 60 degree - been a while since I cut phototex so not sure but thinking you shouldn't need the cb15 for that material

1 minute ago, Dakotagrafx said:

this thread hasn't been active in 5 years - you could be waiting a long time for them to answer - I would try your cb09 blade holder with the 60 degree - been a while since I cut phototex so not sure but thinking you shouldn't need the cb15 for that material

thank you