joey414

Help vectorizing

Can someone help me vectorize this? I tried and it becomes like spotty. I only need it in a single color. Thanks Joey

post-13155-0-61067600-1396910190_thumb.j

Font is curlz, so that part is easy.

the crown is pretty low res, but it wouldn't be too hard to redraw with bezier pen.

here's my version, it definitely needs work but it's a good starting point.

TeamZ - needs work.eps

Are you looking for all the lines or only the dark ones or just the shape in general? There are a lot of things going on in that design. 

• Like 1

The vector programs you mentioned ( of those 3, I only know Inkscape) are fine for tracing the original graphic.

However, to effeciently arrive at my results, the important work is done in a raster-based program such as

Photoshop, Gimp, or Corel. Here, once agin, knowledge of pixel based software is needed.

After desaturating the image in photoshop, grab the Levels control ('Curves' works too) and pull the middle values out.

This control allows you to shift the middle values (semi-transparent) objects toward pure white or black.

I pushed them to white and they were gone from view.

From here it's just a matter of Saving the image, tracing it in a vector program, adding back the text, and resaving.

• Like 2

The vector programs you mentioned ( of those 3, I only know Inkscape) are fine for tracing the original graphic.

However, to effeciently arrive at my results, the important work is done in a raster-based program such as

Photoshop, Gimp, or Corel. Here, once agin, knowledge of pixel based software is needed.

After desaturating the image in photoshop, grab the Levels control ('Curves' works too) and pull the middle values out.

This control allows you to shift the middle values (semi-transparent) objects toward pure white or black.

I pushed them to white and they were gone from view.

From here it's just a matter of Saving the image, tracing it in a vector program, adding back the text, and resaving.

That's is exactly how I did the first file on here.  ;D 

This is what I am missing and will be going to local college to help me out... Adobe Illustrator..

My little contribution to this awesome forum... Here is how I have been doing vectors Not sure if its the right way..But, its helped me out..  I can probably just do it all in Illustrator just need to mess around more with it.

This is my first video be kind :)

Finished Product.. Just noticed while weeding I pulled part of the crown but, you get the idea..

post-5398-0-96571600-1404319866_thumb.jp

Tried again with only 2 colors

post-5398-0-81707500-1404319994_thumb.jp

Close, but no cigar... More finesse in Photoshop would have tightened 'em up.

post-43059-0-15441100-1404324925_thumb.ppost-43059-0-30781900-1404325153_thumb.ppost-43059-0-87710000-1404328073_thumb.p

• Like 1

This would be a good design to practice redrawing manually as well.

• Like 1

Agreed, DS... just didn't warrant the time, I guess. It's been a while ago.

Used the channels to strengthen the lines and the burn and dodge tools to tidy it up.

As I mentioned, it's been a while back but, probably could have redrawn it just as quickly.

• Like 1

Used the channels to strengthen the lines and the burn and dodge tools to tidy it up.

As I mentioned, it's been a while back but, probably could have redrawn it just as quickly.

How hard is it to learn the Wacom Intuos 3? and which one do you have I see they have a wide variety small,medium etc,..

I have an Intuos 3... 6x9, believe. Its great for rendering smooth, flowing lines or brush strokes.

Marking on one surface while looking at another takes a little getting used to...After that it's really a matter of regularly using it

to stay sharp and fast. When you go a few weeks without using it, feels slow and makes you wanna grab a pencil or the mouse.

Most of the work I've done with it has more to do with painting than drawing. I still prefer the pencil for sketching.

How hard is it to learn the Wacom Intuos 3? and which one do you have I see they have a wide variety small,medium etc,..

I tried a Wacom tablet out. I don't remember which one but it was bigger than the small one. Seems like it was about standard letter sized or maybe slightly larger than that. My neice has a real small one she uses with her macbook pro and wishes it was bigger so I went bigger. 

I ended up taking it right back. 

Two reasons. #1 They use a lot of shortcut keystrokes combinations that included pen touches to objects that were going to have to be learned to use effectively with Illustrator. Didn't really like that, took me too long to learn all the shortcut keys already and then every time was working on some other computer I would be missing the tablet, yada yada yada.

#2 I can't draw worth a crap!  If you have the natural dexterity to draw then it would probably be very useful. The pen was pressure sensitive so the harder you pushed the wider the stroke went. Really cool but like I said, in these meatball hands, total waste of time. If you had the $$$ for the real fancy ones that you are actually drawing right on the image on the pad they look REALLY awesome... once again assuming you have some skills. I rely on AI because you don't have to necessarily be gifted once you learn how to go back in and fix things. 

• Like 2