iamandy

File Size Makes a difference?

I have a 28" MH Series cutter and I'm using  Sign Cut Pro to send my cuts. Let me start by saying, I've had a "fun" time learning my way through this. Last night, I was doing some longer cuts, 5" wide by 42+" in length. I have been using .eps files out of illistrater CC. Now using these files, I'd get random cuts after a short way into the project. As the result of another issue I was having, I discovered .svg files and decided to try one of those to see if that would cut better. I didn't have single problem after that. The .eps files were all bout 1.6mb in size while the .svg files were 7-10k. 

My long-winded question is this: Could the size of the file be causing my cutter to go haywire?

Yes, those MH cutters have limited  memory.   And always turn your cutter off and back on, to dump the data from the last order.   A serial, serial card, or a Keyspan Adapter, made by Tripp-Lite has a better flow of data..  than USB.  Some can use USB with no problems, others all problems.

• Like 1

Have been using SignCut for a couple of years now.

It definately seems to prefer the svg files. As does inkscape and therefore, so do I.

As a bonus, the files sizes tend to be signifigantly smaller.

I asked Illustrator and it just schrugged as if it didn't matter~

I concur with the others. File size and the cutter are a big factor. That is probably most of what was giving you fits. 

As far as illustrator goes, I have observed on more than one occasion that the program tends to build larger files. Have no clue why. If I place an image (import) it will make a file be well over 1mb even after I have later deleted the original pic. In some cases where I wanted to post these I have had to actually copy and past the final into a new file and then save it and it will be significantly smaller so there is some sort of latent info that Ai must store in there. I have been impressed with the file size on the svg's and may start saving to that format from now on if for no other reason than to save on storage space.