thegzone

LaserPoint II with surecut A Lot 3 pro vs 3.059

I am using a Mac 10.7.5 Lion. I've been using a cutting software on an old Mac and cutter for the past 18 years, but, when it died this Februay, I upgrade my plotter to a LaserPoint II (on Feb 20, 2014). Since the old software will not run on the new Mac system, I am also having to relearn a new software. My biggest problem isn't learning to use this new stuff. The problem is that so far, every project I sent to the cutter has stopped cutting at around 70% completed. I have asked tech-support for help and they said there is a static problem with this cutter and I need to ground the cutter. The tech sent me an email telling me what I need to do to ground the cutter, and I've done that, but it's still stops around the same as before. First, I wish I was told this cutter had this problembefore I bough it. I would have bought a different cutter, but it is what it is for now. Now I need to correct this problem, because it's costing me money in vinyl waste.

I am looking to see if there is anyone else who has had this problem and if they were able to fix it. Not sure if I am able to provide an email or phone # with this posting since I am new on this forum.

Any help is welcome.

Thank you

thegzone

the two most solid things I can say would be get flexistarter for mac for the cutting program and go serial . .  those two things have helped a lot of people over the years

I have been using Flexistarter for windows for over 7 years.  Great cutting software,  And If you cannot go serial,  or serial card, get a Keyspan adapter,,,made by Tripp-Lite,  that is the brand name..

Hello, not sure why changing the software would correct the problem the LaserPoint II cutter is having ? UScutter is saying it's a hardware problem, not a software issue and I am looking for some one who has come across this problem with their cutter and has fixed it.

Thanks

thegzone

part of the reason I recommended the keyspan - to help with the flakey usb chipset in the value cutters.  and once you work more with scalp you will understand - it is slightly altered from when it was developed for the cricut market (prior to the lawsuit that shut that down) . . . not real sign software and some say not ready for prime time - but cheap and free with a cutter purchase.  I figured with 18 years experience you would have looked at pro software.  
good luck

The laserpoint is prone to both USB connection issues and static electricity. They may even be tied to each other somehow. The serial cable or keyspan adapter has helped many get past the connection issues that lock the things up. I never had to use either one and I'm not sure anyone using the keyspan on here has a mac. My old cutter was a P-Cut which I think is the same thing without the laser pointer. I had a few instances of lock-up triggered by static build-up. The other times I had problems were when I sent too much info to the cutter and locked it up, not sure the file sizes in SCALP but maybe they are a bit too big. I think there are mother board upgrades for the cutter but that's really just throwing money at a value cutter that may or may not even fix the problem. I use SignCut Pro which is mac compatible and do my designs elsewhere and have had success without using the USB keyspan adapter. You can get a free 7 day trial of the cutting program and see if it effects any changes on that end of things.

• Like 1

goose - the lp1 is the same as a p-cut with a laser - the lp2 is a Lilu, I think, but I know a different manufacturer.   

Hello, see, that's good to know about the USB chip, UScutter Teck didn't say anything about that poblem. I have one of the keyspan units, so I'll try it out. as for the software, I know isurecut fall short as a sign software compare to what I have used in the past. I also have a window vs of Flexistarter, but not a Mac vs.  I had decided after I had used the surecut that it wan't going to work out for me., but not sure if Flexistarter is the software for me eather.

I'll let you know if the keyspan worked out, thanks.

thegzone

if you decide to move up in the future look to one of the cutters with more memory and a solid chipset built in - of course roland and graphtec are always solid but I am testing a titan2 - the one with the servo motor  and it is performing solidly.   as you do this for a living a value cutter just isn't the top choice.  I moved up cutters every year for the first 5 years doing this and still move up occasionally . . .the headache saving alone makes a servo motor cutter with a solid chipset worth it's weight in gold!

• Like 2

Hello, I was looking into SignCut Pro,, so I'll give the 7 day trial a look at. Right now, I willing to try what ever I need, I need to be able to depend on this cutter as I had with the Smma cutter for the past 18 years I used it.

Thanks

thegzone

Hello, I was looking into SignCut Pro,, so I'll give the 7 day trial a look at. Right now, I willing to try what ever I need, I need to be able to depend on this cutter as I had with the Smma cutter for the past 18 years I used it.

Thanks

thegzone

uhhh yeh - summa is a whole nother category up with the roland and graphtecs.  so to say you upgraded might be a bit of a stretch.  updated not upgraded.   one of the best cutters I have ever had was an OLD graphtec fc-4100 - would still cut circles around most of the cutters I have used   

• Like 2

I know I'm probably odd man out here but I had a LP1 and still have a LP2 and neither of my cutters liked serial cables. Both worked fine straight usb so you never know what to expect. They have a mind of their own when it comes to whether they like usb or not.

So, here is my update on my problem. After working with 6 or 7 different Techs, and through some of the ideals all of you gave me,, it has come down to were UScutter can not seem to make my problem go away, so on this last call in we  are going to upgrade my cutter to the 28" TiTan, They are giving me full price on my Laserpoint II, with free S/H and I'll pay the difference of $277.53 for the TiTan. I was a sure there isn't any problem with this cutter, so I am hoping to be happier with this deal. And just a note, The Tech support I received with UScutte, has be AAA Great compare to other support I had to deal with on other equipment I have bought in the past, and I also want to say thank you to all of you who jumped to help also.
So, until next time, Thank you and have a blessed 2014
thegzone

• Like 2

Thanks, I hope so as will, so do you know of any problems with this cutter ? Dose anyone have this cutter and what do they think about it?

I have the titan2 the servo model and it has been very solid performer

The chipset used in e Titan and the increased memory have been great . . I am sure you made a good choice to upgrade yo it