Sign in to follow this  
tooler82

Supplies Needed

I have a bunch of buddies wanting to get coffee mugs made. I've seen coffee mug machines for like $80 on the internet. Is this an expensive thing to get started? What all supplies do you have to have?

Mug press's are ok however they have limit use. You cant do a full cup image. They cause ghosting where there is no pressure at the top, bottom or by the handle. the other tool is mug wraps better all the way around and you use your oven.

You have 2 forms of paper you can use. Rhinotech makes a paper called single print which you run through a laser printer in reverse, cut it out, attach to the mug with transfer tape. wrap it with either the mug wrap or put into the press and follow the instructions for time. Then there is Dye sublimation paper which you can buy from any sublimation provider. Follow same instructions. The only different is with the rhinotech paper you have to clear coat the mug of the image will come off.

Sublimation printers come in different sizes, and makers. You can buy an Epson printer and use sublimation ink, or you can buy a Ricoh and sublimation ink. The different is Ricoh is less maintenance however its higher in price and the inks are a gel. You can get buy printers that can print up to 13X19 for desktops or you can buy a wide format printer by Epson and so larger items such as all over shirts. However you need a wide format heat press

• Like 2

This is how i started!

Dye Sub Mugs!!

Printer $600  Printer + Ink  http://www.uscutter.com/Dye-sublimation-Printer-Ricoh-SG-3110DN  From USCUTTER

$160 Mug Press From Ebay!

$50 case of 36 mugs from USCUTTER

With the mug press i can do 1 mug every 3min and 30 seconds  and the Cactus wrap you can do 1 mug every 19 min and then you have to let it cool down to do more!

and these are the jobs i have done!..  I HATE my Cactus wrap!  

Sorry Mad: I can't give good reviews for Rhinotech :( I have tried a few of there products with my laser printer and is screwed up my printer!

post-16863-0-15556600-1396381900_thumb.j

post-16863-0-74336800-1396381900_thumb.j

post-16863-0-24066300-1396381901_thumb.j

post-16863-0-80133500-1396381901_thumb.j

post-16863-0-29043700-1396381902_thumb.j

That helps a lot. So in other words, it's better to just find a local store or an online store to print them for us when we want to make some? lol. Thanks for all your help guys.

I can do them also. And your welcome. I don't like Rhinotechs paper at all there is an added step with the clear coating, I love my cactus wrap you buy more than one and its worth it, specially if you want to do a full bleed on the mug from hand to handle top to bottom. I'm always looking for more cactus wraps you interested in getting rid of it SeeJay?

for the ricoh - texprint-r paper here formulated for the gel inks so it doesn't smudge when doing a bunch at a time

• Like 1

Hatter get that wrap - I haven't found a mug press yet that can come close to a cactus wrap in the oven (you have to put them in upside down not right side up)

I want that wrap I got 2 cactus and 2 of the other however I converted one of the crappy ones to do water bottles.

water bottles.. now how do I convert mine to do that! .. maybe i should keep it for that if i can do them!   Now your making me THINK! and this might get spendy!!!

water bottles.. now how do I convert mine to do that! .. maybe i should keep it for that if i can do them!   Now your making me THINK! and this might get spendy!!!
Think it may get spendyLOL I have dog bowl wraps !

Dakotagrafx - what do you charge for a dog bowl ?

this is the wrap i have !

I have only done two so far and the we're light so not ready for prime time on those . . . Was a rush for my daughter and then she said forget it after I had two not done right . . . She went and bought some. I need to get them back out someday and try again. I also bought the tall funnel mug or tapered glass cactus wrap I haven't tried yet. Was talking yesterday about maybe ordering some of the 16 oz taper mugs to make some to use in the kuerig

Problem is I get all these great ideas and then have more before I do them, causing a lot of build up. . . Still have a big box of sublislated, boxes of coasters, boxes of door plates, clock faces, etc. it is a sickness that infects you

• Like 3

Those wraps don't get tight enough around the bottle to keep decent pressure, I modified a white one I bought from Coastal and it works great.

Problem is I get all these great ideas and then have more before I do them, causing a lot of build up. . . Still have a big box of sublislated, boxes of coasters, boxes of door plates, clock faces, etc. it is a sickness that infects you

Dakota we both need help I think lol.

I understand about Dye Sub Build Up..

When i go thru the catalog, i say this to my self

i want one of those.. 2 of those and umm.. maybe a case of those.. 1 of those.. and the time i leave it i'm $200 down

and yes i try to keep a lot in stock to make things to show people what i can make!.. here is a little bin of mine full of the dye sub..

post-16863-0-46528100-1396410775_thumb.j

I understand about Dye Sub Build Up..

When i go thru the catalog, i say this to my self

i want one of those.. 2 of those and umm.. maybe a case of those.. 1 of those.. and the time i leave it i'm $200 down

and yes i try to keep a lot in stock to make things to show people what i can make!.. here is a little bin of mine full of the dye sub..

You need sublimation help too

• Like 1

Jay what kind of press is that?

Wring Jay but check ebay. His is the twin to mine.