Sign in to follow this  
KDM_Freak

GreenStar ?

Hey guys & girls,

So today I think I finally picked a plotter for what I intend to use it for and after talking to UsCutter for over and hour I hope I'm making the right pick. Its the new Titan (not the 2) and well I'm new to this vinyl world but didn't want a basic set up, but need all the right tools so other then the machine I figured I'd go with there Bundle kit that comes with everything I need. Now with that comes greenstar and I got a very very very mixed feeling on that brand. Please someone let me know if its worth the hassle I don't want my in home business to be ruined before it even starts. My business will be for car decals, wall decals ( I am aware there are different types for indoor and outdoor) the bundle don't say what kind just greenstar here is the link:  ( http://www.uscutter.com/New-Sign-Shop-In-a-Box-Weeding-Application-Tools ) later on when I learn enough id like to do banners and signs. 

- Thank you in advance -Mike

Buy Oracal, forget about the Green star. The stuff my son got with his Graphtec was stiff and thick. He used it for practice ONLY. I would never use it, for a customer. We sell vehicle decals and outside decals.

• Like 1

No Greenstar for car decals..would be OK for indoor use. I've got hundreds of banners and coroplast in the field with greenstar and never a problem or complaint/ But, I use Oracal for car lettering and outdoor permanent signage.

• Like 1

Oh, and if you're gonna get a Titan..it's not that much more for the Titan2 with the servo motors/

• Like 1

I have to agree with the others (they are more learned than I). But what little green star I got with my cutter(was bought used) was terrible but I used it to practice. You would probably be better just to get a couple of squeegees and some application tape and a couple rolls of vinyl and come out cheaper.

just my .02

Butch

oracal and fdc here - it is pennies more a ft for the good stuff - like grandma said don't be penny wise and dollar foolish!

• Like 1

Anyone know where I can get a bundle with oracle from cause I have nothing to start with and I feel its a lot if i buy all separate stuff. & 

Oh, and if you're gonna get a Titan..it's not that much more for the Titan2 with the servo motors/

I would but for what I need I feel the titan is fine and Im kind of spending more then I should be for someone who has no idea yet what there doing, I have been researching this all for over a month so I kinda got a idea plus for the extra couple hundred and i don't know how my business will take off I'm ok with waiting on a profit basis. 

just buy the white. black, red to start and add as you need - shipping is only 9.99 per order  - if you want some cheaper struff to practice with get a roll from ebay stickerman5000 - it is still great vinyl (usually fdc even though it doesn't say it)

just buy the white. black, red to start and add as you need - shipping is only 9.99 per order  - if you want some cheaper struff to practice with get a roll from ebay stickerman5000 - it is still great vinyl (usually fdc even though it doesn't say it)

Only one I see for 9.99 is 631 ? isn't that for indoor use mainly but can be used outdoor but not recommended 

Go with the best cutter you can afford period. Being new doesn't mean you should start out with a handicap of a lower machine, not saying the Titan is lower but the servo motors in the Titan 2 will make a difference in quality of cuts. Practice with the greenstar until you can run your equipment efficiently then upgrade vinyl as you go, especially for customer work.

I bought the bundle and still have a lot of the 5yd rolls that came with the starter kit. (3 years later). The hard squeegees that they send are so-so and the weeding tools are eh...ok I guess. I use other things now. There are some decent items but a lot of it is just really not that handy. There may be some who disagree. 

The weeding and application starter kit isn't too bad to get going but the signshop in a box has a lot of stuff that isn't really that great a deal IMO.

White and black vinyl are a totally safe investment.

A good sized green cutting mat is a great investment. I have two and the larger one is 25" x 37" (I think) and I like it best. Lots of exacto blades and a good 24" craft ruler (6" wide with the lines in it) is super handy. 

I buy better 3M squeegee's locally (usually gold and once in a while a softer blue one) The white teflon squeegees that USCutter sells aren't bad for but aren't always straight. 

I just got my MH 721 in the mail, and have literally gone through half a roll of GreenStar white vinyl only to have two products to show for it. Luckily, one is for my car and the other is for a coworker so that I can get a little practice with my new cutter. 

I was a little apprehensive when I was making the decision to go to USC vs. Creation PCut that I learned to use. Flexi is the software I started with. I ordered the 28" cutter, GreenStar package, SCAL Pro, and the weeding/application starter kit. I'm not exactly impressed with the vinyl OR the starter kit. 

I had only used Oracal vinyl in the PCut, but decided to go cheap to see how it really compared. Everyone was right, GreenStar quality<<Oracal quality. Can someone recommend a good place to get some decent Oracal vinyl - mainly for cutting car decals. 

Also, I'm in the market for a GOOD set of weeding tools - not this starter kit crap. I feel like with all of my Buckhead housewives, I could make a killing if I can get this stuff right. Gotta love the Atlanta lifestyle. HA. 

Let me know what you guys think? 

you can't beat usc for the oracal vinyl especially with the 9.99 shipping per order. on weeding tool, my favorite is an x-acto knife but everyone like something different

For weeding tools go to Harbor Freight.  They have an aisle with picks and small scrapers - buy an assortment they are fairly inexpensive and work great