Sign in to follow this  
Eightlaps

"cannot open port" error

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum and need some advice. When I want to print the drawings and it goes to the Production Manager. It gives a error "cannot open port". It worked last week and not now anymore. I think the firewall was disabled before and I enabled it after that but disabled again. The problem wont go away. The version of the program is FlexiSIGN-Pro 8.1v1 and running Windows 7 64 bit. Also the plotter is Roland and using a USB Port. I have tried reinstalling, disabled firewall (again) and disabled antivirus program with no luck. What might cause the issue?

Advice will be highly appreacited!

Flexisignpro8,1 is not compatible with Windows 7.  It is for XP and older windows operating systems.  Was not even Vista compatible until version. 8.5.  Will be hit or miss with Windows 7,  

"Cannot open port"  usually means that the com port # in your computer device manager, does not match the com port# in your Flexisignpro8..1

Hi Mz SKEETER,

I dont understand it work perfectly on windows 7 even FlexiSIGN 7.0 but when that version Production Manager is opening it shows "Runtime Error" Could that mean its not compactible then? The 8.1v1 worked perfectly before until the "cannot open port" I dont understand it because it use USB connection. The USB Port number is USB001 something like that and it was matched like that in "Device and Printer" when I right click and click Printer Properties under "Ports" tab. It shows what is the port name is used eg. USB001 and i maked sure its the same in FlexiSIGN but still not working. About Device Manager where should I look there?

Thanks

What I did was i installed FlexiSIGN and the Roland Plotter on the second computer and worked 100%. No "cannot open port" error and used the same version of windows as the first one. So something is wrong with the first computer.

MZ Skeeter, technically flexi and lxi which i use are not compatible with 64bit like you said, in fact even the sales people will tell they are not, but the do work if you have the correct drivers and install in the 32bit folder.

I have LXi 7.5 which is just slimmed down flexi, and i run on win7 64bit.  I did have to find some workarounds for the software to work correctly particularly with my dongle driver.

Had to find a compatible driver, not the one i'm supposed to use.

As far as the port issue, check your device manager while plotter is connected, plotter should read as printer.

there might be a problem with USB port itself, or with the USB port driver.

Are you trying to connect via USB 2.0 or 3.0?

I don't believe plotters are compatible with 3.0 yet.

I have read it in the SAI forums, from SAI tech support....to members...with the same problem..   I remember some on here says especially the RIP will not be right.  

What I did was i installed FlexiSIGN and the Roland Plotter on the second computer and worked 100%. No "cannot open port" error and used the same version of windows as the first one. So something is wrong with the first computer.

Contact SAI tech support. (Flexi)  they can remote your computer.

I have read it in the SAI forums, from SAI tech support....to members...with the same problem..   I remember some on here says especially the RIP will not be right.  

We RIP with flexi just fine. 

Hi FrznFire07,

Thank You so much for your advice! What I did is i have installed on the second computer with the same plotter and usb cable, same windows 7 64bit with no problems. It is a USB 2.0. I even maked sure the port number are identical from the "devices and printers", "printer properties" "ports" to flexisign 8.1v1. I even test printed the plotter without the flexisign program and it worked on the orginal computer. So something is wrong on the program self. I even reinstalled and run with no luck

maybe try a different port?

+1 on SAI tech support, if nothing else like he said they'll remote in.