gcextreme

Going to go look at an Office/Store tomorrow.

And without overhead a big chuck of that goes directly to your family. . . Only you know if it is right for you. I have been retired from the state one year and amazed at how much word of mouth has picked up that I am now available more. On the flip side I asked Stacey last night how I went from complaining about working odd hrs 6 on 2 off. To not working all hrs 7days a week

I am on a MN Craft/Vendor Facebook page, and they post info about tons of shows throughout the state. So i am getting organized and marking my calendars for shows i want to attend.

Anyway, one of the local shows, i contacted a lady, she sent me a form, and told me about a local "Business Networking" group that meets every Thursday for breakfast...730-9am, and said it would be a great chance to network and get referrals using this group.

But the issue i have here is its in the morning, during the week. I still have my daily full time job...so it looks like i will have to take a few mornings off to attend this. It should work, my boss and job is pretty flexible with hours. Right now we are cut down to a strict 40hr work week, so i have been working four 10hr days and having Fridays off. Other guys are working three 12 hours and 1 four hour days, leaving early on Thursdays. So right now with these cut hours, i should be able to take a few hours off on a Thursday morning to go up to this networking group meeting.

• Like 1

Access for 4x8 sheets of substrate materials is essential.

"Down a hallway" doesn't sound like you can easily bring in those.

Wait a few weeks and make sure to follow-up with the corner place.

• Like 1

Well the place i went to look at yesterday, well it was huge, way bigger than what it looked like thru the glass windows, cuz theres a huge back room and a full basement! the guy is in the middle of remodeling it, but hes holding off til he finds a renter so he can finish it to the renter's needs. The top area is about 1300sq ft, plus the full basement with freight elevator access. He want's $1200 a month, + utilities.

So even tho the place is huge and would be awesome to have, its way outta my price range.

The bank down the block from me, small bank, with a few offices, well its a small town branch, and they usually only have 2 people there, but they have 4 large offices in the main area, then theres a small one in the front foyer, that is empty and never used. Now understand this, its a small town where i live, 199 people and only a few businesses here. Most are in Glenwood (8 miles south) and Alexandria (15 miles north).

Anyway, the ladies at the bank said i may be able to rent that other office pretty cheap, but really its just a few feet bigger than the bedroom i am working out of now! Not sure on what they mean is cheap tho...they said the will contact their manager/owner later and see.

Its kinda sad tho, this small branch building has these 4 large offices and a small one, and only one really gets used, as a break lunch room, lol!

For around $400 + utilities you might be able to find a 20'x40', or so, commercial workshop.

post-6882-0-86778100-1396722567_thumb.gi

You would typically have one overhead door plus a standard walk-in door.

It would probably be off of the beaten path, so no walk-ins, but lots of room. It would be nice to have someplace inside like that to do vehicle lettering.

Actually just on the road heading outside the big town, there is a garage/shop that used to be a muffler shop...they had one bay, a small office, and a little storage area. That place is closed and is up for RENT too..i have the number, but when i call i get no answer, not even a voicemail...it just rings and rings and rings.

That place would be almost perfect...but im not sure what the condition of it is. It's been closed and vacant for 2 years....must be a reason. and its just down from the local Honda/Victory/Polaris dealer too...but its also not too far from the local large vinyl dealer too, their shop is like 4 blocks away.

What is a "local large vinyl dealer" ?

You can ask around (since it's such a small town) and maybe local real estate people can guide you to find the owner of the ex-muffler shop? (public records exist, also, somewhere in a courthouse or tax office)

The reason it's still for rent is nobody can reach the owner by calling that old number.

Local large vinyl business...they probably own about 70% of the market in town. They do all the cop cars, ambulances, firetrucks, tons of race cars, etc.

They are the main go to place for vinyl cutting and printing..

Theres another place called Overnight Wraps, they keep busy too.

Then theres one more little shop that mostly does autobody work but they also have a cutter too and do some stuff.

If you're afraid of competing with other shops you'll never own a shop. You can set up in the middle of the desert and if you're making money soembidy will set up next to you and try to get a piece of the pie. Your business will have to stand on it's own merit against the competition at some point but at what point that will be is totally up to you. Yes it's scary and hard and high stress but all rewards have risk and the greater the risk the greater the reward.

• Like 2

Its not about competition..its about loyalty. They have been doing it for years and are well known. They also do large vinyl prints etc. But they dont do apparel.

Many businesses go straight to them without question. Even the city for all the public service vehicles.

Im going to look at a place on Friday in another town south of me for $300 with utilties and a shop and offices.. its in a smaller town of about 4,000 people.

Its not about competition..its about loyalty. They have been doing it for years and are well known. They also do large vinyl prints etc. But they dont do apparel.

Many businesses go straight to them without question. Even the city for all the public service vehicles.

Im going to look at a place on Friday in another town south of me for $300 with utilties and a shop and offices.. its in a smaller town of about 4,000 people.

Loyal customers are not likely to switch that is 80% or more of my business. Price shoppers are not as likely to actually buy. Then you will have people that want something a certain way and come to you and you will build your business and your customer base. Dont ever worry about any other business as competition good work and service always wins out.

• Like 3

Well here in my small town of Villard (pop 200) the old school closed down and merged with neighboring towns a few years ago.

Here in town theres two big companies, Tanks Equipment and Pfenniger Trucking and they own the school now.

The gym is used by the church every other saturday for local youth activites, then some of the classrooms are used for storage by the two owning companies.

There are many classrooms still available even the newer auto/shop area with overhead door...

I talked to one of the owners about maybe me renting it out..he said its possible but he would have to talk with the other owners.

Also its barely heated in the winter, just enuff to keep the pipes from freezing so that i would have to work out. But there is electricity and water.

The best thing is...the school is litterally in my back yard just across the field and playground.

The bad thing is..no exposure and limited customer base here in this small town..

• Like 1

Just have to get you name out everywhere you can. I'm assuming that everybody know where the school is so when they ask where you're located you can just say at the old school and they'll immediately know where to find you.

what Jay said just make sure that getting your name out there for the right reason - quality work, fair price, quick - not for other reasons!

• Like 1

Everyone in Villard knows where its at...but its a small town..barely 200 people.

Theres only a handful of businesses here in town:

Massman Automations (where i work full time)

Pfiniger Trucking

Tanks Equipment and Appliance (tractors and kitchen appliances)

Two small banks.

1 gas station

1 hair salon

1 daycare

1 diner/bar

1 Glass install company

3 churches

And the Post office and town hall/fire department.

Sounds similar to the town I'm in. I make a living from outlying areas and a fair amount of business from the larger cities in a 50 mile radius. Every time I read your posts it sounds like you're just trying to talk yourself out or making the leap and if that's the case you may not be ready to open a retail location just yet.

• Like 3

Well its a big step, big risk.

I want to make sure i find the right building and location to meet my needs. Im not ready to quit my fulltime job with benefits yet..so i need a spot where i can go and work in the evenings and weekends and still have potential customers and traffic.

Once i figure im making enough to support the wife and i and cover business and personal expenses i will jump to doing it full time.

• Like 1

I wasn't trying to come down on you although after reading it I know it sounded that way. It is a big step and for me I had help for the first couple years so I could draw a check and come in nights and weekends to get work done so I hear what you're saying but at some point you'll just have to jump in and hope you swim, not sink.

When I first started, that was my goal.... to open a storefront.  Couldn't wait!  In fact I had the opportunity to buy out a shop in town.... everything about the purchase was right.  The equipment they had, the customer base, the proximity to my house and town..... practically perfect!  It didn't quite pan out and someone else stepped in and bought it.

That being said, still one side of me wants so bad to have a place.  Possibly pride.... something to show accomplishment, (this is mine....all mine!)  Also, (I think the biggest factor) is to have a place that I can do things and have racks and shelves that people could come and "shop" and by things that are in stock and ready to go.  Then of course.... the SPACE!  To have a nice, large work area!

When it comes right down to it tho,  when I actually sit still and ponder it.... For me the "stay at home" thing just makes so much more sense!  I don't have to have set hours!  I DON'T have any walk in traffic... so I don't have to be here for set hours or even showered or dressed if I don't want to!  If I want to slip out in the middle of the day and watch a movie by myself... I can.  With summer approaching, if I want to head out to the back yard to the boat dock, I can fish.... or hell, even jump in and swim.... take the jet skis out etc.  I have really discovered that sure, it would be "nice" to have a place but the freedom of doing what I want when I want is a very "controlling" factor!  

I have even considered some type of "shop" in town.... not a storefront mind you but just a place to have more space and to "separate" work from home.  Then I would have to leave the house and make time to go.  I like being able to start a load of laundry and then working for 30 minutes while they wash.....  It is nice to be able to squeeze in 30 minutes of work here and there if needed.

You might be wondering... if you stay so secluded.... how do you get business?  I have somehow found that people know of me, my quality and pricing, plus, I can deliver to them so they don't have to worry about how and when they can get to me for pickup.  Another benefit of being in a small town I suppose.  I am always running around in town so stopping in here or there to drop something off is no big deal.  Plus, peoples face light up when you walk in with goodies for them!  That also generates sales.... when you bring in shirts or things for one person, the rest of the office has to have a look as the recipient is busy bragging.  Someone usually chimes in with an order of some kind of their own.  Plus, if I get to a slow point... I just head to down and "drop in and say hi to folks"  I ALWAYS come home with orders!

I just noticed I have kinda been rambling.... I guess in short, I feel ya..... I know what it is like to want a place.  It never hurts to look and keep options open but in my opinion.... I just seems, in this type of business, at least for me, best to stay at home as long as it is possible.  I realize one of the biggest factors tho is space and room.  I believe you mentioned possibly moving to a new home and starting a family (I am to lazy to scroll back up and reread) When searching for a new place knowing you need space for your work area, you might find something that will work!  Plus, starting a family.... you get to be home and more hands on with the little one (they sleep alot at first so you will still be able to get work done ;-)   I enjoy being home with the kids.... being here when they get home from shcool!  I know it is not for everyone but I love it!  My kids love it!  Most dad's are not home enough as it is.

I am sure, you and your wife will at some point figure out what will work best for y'all.  Just don't be in a hurry and get yourself stuck in a hole.  Good luck with your "shopping"!  Stay calm and cut on!!

• Like 1

Lol "Stay Calm and Cut On!" Should be on a shirt!!

Yeah it works both ways..working at home can be good and can be bad..cuz at home, its easy to keep working and work yourself to death...work til the wee hours of the morning. I found myself up til 2am doing can koozies last weekend.

Even having a place near by for working and room to work and store stuff would be great. Yeah a storefront would be awesome...and either way you choose the days and hours you want to work.

Yes i am always looking for a larger house to rent for the wife and our future family..but right now alot of my spare money is being invested in my business supplies.

Also just found out the place at the school doest have water...so thats a bummer..but not really a deal breaker as my house is just across the field.

The youth pastor i work with that does youth group stuff there in the gym every other saturday informed me about it.

• Like 1

Lol "Stay Calm and Cut On!" Should be on a shirt!!

Yeah it works both ways..working at home can be good and can be bad..cuz at home, its easy to keep working and work yourself to death...work til the wee hours of the morning. I found myself up til 2am doing can koozies last weekend.

Even having a place near by for working and room to work and store stuff would be great. Yeah a storefront would be awesome...and either way you choose the days and hours you want to work.

Yes i am always looking for a larger house to rent for the wife and our future family..but right now alot of my spare money is being invested in my business supplies.

Also just found out the place at the school doest have water...so thats a bummer..but not really a deal breaker as my house is just across the field.

The youth pastor i work with that does youth group stuff there in the gym every other saturday informed me about it.

+1 on the working all hrs if at home, would be easier to walk away at the end of the day if elsewhere, but most of my orders are at night ab

And with my OCD I have to get them right out

• Like 2

I cut mostly at night and weekends after working the handyman service or installing signs or letters for 8-10 hours then driving maybe 1 to 2 hours my old ass is draging so maybe cut an hour or so the weed and install another evening.

• Like 2