lilypoo

Need to vent to hold me over till I can call customer service ;)

I bought a 25" SC a couple weeks ago.  Was pretty disappointed that it took two of us two hours just to assemble the stand.  It wasn't for lack of instructions since I figured out where to find those online and we followed the set-up vid step-by-step, but the assembly was extremely awkward and poorly thought out!

Since, I've had problem after problem.  I did have it connected via USB and was able to get it to work "better" by changing the baud rate and bps speed and all that good stuff (searched the forum).  Added a better surge protector since it can't seem to cut properly if my home's AC starts up while it's cutting.  Eventually I got it connected via serial (had to add a card to my PC) and grounded the cutter to the stand. 

Still...it loves to stop cutting the design and roll out the WHOLE vinyl roll with the blade DOWN in the center of the 24" wide roll.  I am cutting a job tonight and I've wasted over 10 yards of each of the two colors I'm using...and now do not have enough vinyl on hand to finish with either color.  Considering I had 15+ yards of each color and only needed about 5-6 yards of each color, that's pretty sad.  It's also sad that I started cutting about 9 hours ago and still only have about 2/3 of what I need.  I've got a client's workvan parked in my driveway and had planned on applying the vinyl around 7pm...it's after midnight now and am tearing my hair out.  And I'm dreading telling my client that I can't get his vehicle finished until I get more vinyl in.  (We are bartering and he completed his end of the deal today.)

And even when it manages to get through a cut without ruining the vinyl, I *always* have to turn it off and back on before I can use it again.  If I don't, it will most assuredly not finish the next cut.  I'm not consistently cutting huge, complex things either.

The one thing I like about this machine is that it tracks well.  It never gets off course, so yay for that.  The rollers are great.  Go SC!

So yes, I know it's a "value" cutter but honestly, in my opinion, if you are selling something, it should work well enough.  I knew it wouldn't be perfect or even ideal...I knew I'd want to upgrade as soon as I could (really want the Titan with the servo motor thingy) but this thing should be working as well as the craft cutter I started with!

But I can't imagine continuing to run my business this way.  My husband wants me to order a second SC so we have a back-up but I'm afraid to.  I'm afraid to order another "value" cutter but currently, it's all I can afford.  I can only imagine that a second SC or similar model would give me just as much grief as this one.  I upgraded from a Cameo and while it had tracking issues with anything longer than 36" or so, it never, ever, ever gave me this much grief.

Signed,

Sad Lilypoo in AZ

• Like 1

I am sure support will be able to help figure out what issues you have going on - you don't mention what software you are using to cut from. m If your home AC kicking on is affecting the cutting I would venture to say you have some home electrical issues - it should not be dropping voltage or causing spikes that would affect your cuts - lastly never never never take a job until you are familiar with any new hardware and software. becoming familiar with the new stuff is important before promising a job.   that only adds to your frustration.   my first cutter ran about 20 minutes before a capacitor that was install backwards blew up in a quiet basement at 2am - heart attack and about 3 weeks before I got it fully resolved with 2 new mb, new power supply, control panel and finally mailing the cutter back and getting it replaced . . . had I promised jobs during that time I would have been very frustrated too, but I was getting to know the machine when the problem cropped up  - hang in there Monday support will be available to help get you going.

depending on how complicated the design is ( lots of nodes) you could be reaching the limit of the memory in the cutter causing this problem also, say if you are trying to cut a tree graphic for on a wall floor to ceiling with all the branches, etc - it might be just too much for the memory to handle - memory in the sc is only 1mb.   another thought if you are using scalp - have you downloaded signblazer and tried that with your cutter - I am sure it would take a search of the forum to find which driver to use as the sc wasn't thought of when development of signblazer was stopped due to the owners death. but it is a solid program to run and good to test with the second program.

take the blade holder out and let it run thru the coarse without actually cutting before wasting any more vinyl, if it came with a pen holder use that and butcher paper till you get the bugs worked out is another option

lastly I do not work for usc but am a long time member here  - the term staff in the moderators title is a little misleading . . . .more like volunteer LOL

• Like 8

Gonna be honest with you.. I have the same machine and have been cutting on it for about 8 months and have not had any problems with it. I use Signblazer with on a HP windows 7 laptop hooked up to the usb.. Hopefully the support will help you... I usually turn my machine off after 2 to 3 cuts depending on the size of the cuts.. The longes i cut was 23 inches and did not have any trouble

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses!  Good to feel like someone's listening. ;) 

I could have cut this job on my Cameo but I designed it to cut it on the SC and really didn't want to go back and redo everything to accommodate the 12" width of the Cameo.  I have been using the SC a lot so I'm really comfortable with it--just usually takes 3-4 attempts to get everything done right due to the machine freezing up, lagging, just not cutting certain parts of the design or adding odd shapes cut in odd place. 

I just can't imagine why on earth the plotter puts the blade down mid-cut and then feeds yards and yards (I'm talking close to ten yards each time) of vinyl through...if it hadn't done that over a half-dozen times with this job, I would have been fine.  Frustrated, but OK.  My longest cut was 39" long and not complicated, not tons of nodes.  Basically a few words of text with simple boxes around them or all text.

I am indeed using SCAL 3 Pro.  Hate it.  I have MTC also, kinda hate it too, but it won't link up with the SC anyway.  I will have to look into SignBlazer as I've seen it mentioned a lot researching this forum and I'm not happy at all with SCAL or MTC. 

Signblazer is very to use. I have been using it for 3 years without any problems. Download it from the US Cutter site(it's free). As said before, use your pen tool and paper to practice with.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses!  Good to feel like someone's listening. ;)

I could have cut this job on my Cameo but I designed it to cut it on the SC and really didn't want to go back and redo everything to accommodate the 12" width of the Cameo.  I have been using the SC a lot so I'm really comfortable with it--just usually takes 3-4 attempts to get everything done right due to the machine freezing up, lagging, just not cutting certain parts of the design or adding odd shapes cut in odd place. 

I just can't imagine why on earth the plotter puts the blade down mid-cut and then feeds yards and yards (I'm talking close to ten yards each time) of vinyl through...if it hadn't done that over a half-dozen times with this job, I would have been fine.  Frustrated, but OK.  My longest cut was 39" long and not complicated, not tons of nodes.  Basically a few words of text with simple boxes around them or all text.

I am indeed using SCAL 3 Pro.  Hate it.  I have MTC also, kinda hate it too, but it won't link up with the SC anyway.  I will have to look into SignBlazer as I've seen it mentioned a lot researching this forum and I'm not happy at all with SCAL or MTC. 

What version of SCALP?

• Like 1

Gonna be honest with you.. I have the same machine and have been cutting on it for about 8 months and have not had any problems with it. I use Signblazer with on a HP windows 7 laptop hooked up to the usb.. Hopefully the support will help you... I usually turn my machine off after 2 to 3 cuts depending on the size of the cuts.. The longes i cut was 23 inches and did not have any trouble

I have gone out to 6' so far for a banner, cut it in one shot no issues, but I run serial, on USB it would cut multi passes or a line down the vinyl.

The last time it ran the blade down the vinyl as described it was after I updated to 3.053 and had to back it done to 3.051. I am running 3.059 and no issues and now has tiling

• Like 1

Yeah i have not had to cut much bigger than 22 inches yet EL.. If i do i might have to go serial.

• Like 1

MHB_12841.jpg

I am indeed using 3.053...maybe (hopefully) it's something as simple as that being the issue?  So when I check for updates within the software, it says none are available.  I did however Google the new version and found it on US Cutter's site.  Downloading now.  Since I downloaded it originally and it said there were no updates, I thought I already had the latest version!  

Another potential...I am running Windows 8 and there's no driver specifically for 8 on US Cutter's site.  I chose the Window 7 driver.

FWIW, I am a fan of US Cutter.  I researched this purchase for over 3 months before I took the plunge.  I order all my supplies here now.  I watched so many videos and read so many reviews.  I got the SC to "hold me over" until I make enough money to upgrade again.  I really was torn b/w the MH, SC and LP2.  I considered the Copam as well.  Based on reviews and what I've read on the forums, people have issues with all those models.  I don't know if there are some lemons out there but that's my guess.  Or the machines are super-sensitive to static and different circumstances affect the performance.  My house in only 6 years old and we have not noticed any other issues with the electricity being weird but my husband recommended we have an electrician out to make sure the grounding is working right.  I AM set up on carpet though so I'm going to put the machine on an anti-static mat and try the dryer sheet thing I read about. 

The van turned out OK.  I had to give my client an IOU since there were two panels I couldn't finish due to the ruined vinyl rolls.  Personally I think it will look too busy once we add that, so I'm kind of glad I got to take pics of it the way it is right now.  I wouldn't have thought to do that.

• Like 3

That looks very good. I wish I had some garage cabinets. In fact, I wish I had a garage.

You do good work. You deserve a good cutter. Save your money and have a look at the Titan2. I bought one and I absolutely LOVE it. It will save you money just by not wasting vinyl.

• Like 3

Turned out nice... I will run my SC into the dirt then by an upgrade...lol

• Like 1

in the beginning I upgraded cutters about once a year - got better cutter and sold the old one while it was still in great shape - worked out very well

• Like 3

Thanks!  I'm pleased with the work on the van.  I love doing this...totally feel like I've found my true calling making signs and decals.  :D

I am really interested in the Titan/Titan2.  That or the Graphtec.  I only need 24" right now.  But it will likely be the Titan.    I really just want something that works properly more than 25% of the time.  LOL  I am about to do some tests with the SCALP update and Sign Blazer.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I'm pleased with the work on the van.  I love doing this...totally feel like I've found my true calling making signs and decals.  :D

I am really interested in the Titan 2.  That or the Graphtec.  I only need 24" right now.  Like the idea of the servo motor too.  I really just want something that works properly more than 25% of the time.  LOL  I am about to do some tests with the SCALP update and Sign Blazer.

You would love a Graphtec,  I have had mine since 2008,  never a problem,  works just like new,  and no problems ever with running on USB,  No static issues, memory issues, or tracking,   Does the job right, the first time.  I started with a Seiki,  It wasn't a bad machine, but night and day to a Graphtec.    I use  Flexistarter for my cutting software.  That is what I started with in 2006.   

If you have the money, go for the Graphtec. Everything Skeeter said applies to the Titan2 at less cost.

• Like 2

That sucks lilypoo..

but i have a few questions..

did u just start getting into vinyl / is this your first cutter?

Cuz if "yes"..then u should take more time to learn and get familiar with your machine before jumping into clients and tight deadlines...

You can't grab a 6yr old teeball player and throw him into Major League Baseball and expect him to perform.

Not trying to be rude etc..just saying you shouldnt jump right in with customers and deadlines..cuz if u fail to meet them your gonna soon get a bad rep.

• Like 1

I'm definitely upgrading as soon as I can!  Either a Titan or the CE-6000.  I can't wait!!  :D  My SC is behaving a little better today since I upgraded SCALP but I haven't cut anything large yet.  We shall see!

GC, I get you!  No offense taken.  I started doing work for others in November of last year, so I'm only about 4-5 months in.  I used a Cameo until I got the SC.  I did a lot of work with it but as I started doing larger and larger signs, I knew I needed something that could handle larger media.  My confidence is high and until this vinyl roll massacre courtesy of the SC, I'd never even come close to missing a deadline.  I learned something though...have more extra vinyl on hand.  I thought I was all set because I had partial rolls and brand new rolls each of the colors I needed...never occurred to me that the cutter would feed and ruin an entire new roll in a matter of seconds! 

Good luck on the SC. Your work looks great! You mentioned that you were glad that you got a pic with it at the current state. I don't know if you do previews/proofs to your clients but on vehicles and buildings I usually draw up their design and lay it on a picture of their car or one similar and let them see what it will look like. Maybe you already do that.  

• Like 2

Lily...the graphtecs are nice...i have the ce5000-60 model i got on clearance last year and love it!

The new ce6000 ones are sweet too... i saw one run at the local SignsPlusBanner expo last week. They have a nice larger display and are pretty cool.

You say the cutter cut a line down the center of the 24" roll and its "ruined"...i dont see it as ruined...its still usable...i.have several rolls of 8" vinyl...so yours should still be usable for other smaller projects.

• Like 3

1. Static.

(carpet)   ---  you indicated you're going to address that with a mat and also place dryer sheets inside the roll of vinyl while you cut.

It would certainly be useful to run a wire that properly grounds the cutter to the stand (on the bottom of the SC is a grounding bolt and any wire from that attached by a self-tapping screw into the stand will do)

2. Ruined vinyl.

While cutting, you should normally be 'babysitting' the machine, and at the first indication of a glitch, hit the red button and STOP it,

instead of allowing the unit to feed yards and yards when it runs haywire.

3. SignBlazer.

Consider it to be your best friend.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest static too. I remember back in the day (2008 maybe) I ordered a plotter from US Cutter and found out some have a ground wire, some dont. That one didn't but the next couple ones did. Radio shack wire, pliers to crimp, and a wire clip under a screw and it may help.

Back in the day, some people suggested prewiping vinyl with dryer sheets. I stopped having issues once I grounded mine.

My graphtec is on its way to me. Will probably ground it too.

I am a little suspect of the win8/driver issue but support here is pretty good

• Like 1

I was going to suggest static too. I remember back in the day (2008 maybe) I ordered a plotter from US Cutter and found out some have a ground wire, some dont. That one didn't but the next couple ones did. Radio shack wire, pliers to crimp, and a wire clip under a screw and it may help.

Back in the day, some people suggested prewiping vinyl with dryer sheets. I stopped having issues once I grounded mine.

My graphtec is on its way to me. Will probably ground it too.

I am a little suspect of the win8/driver issue but support here is pretty good

you won't have the static problem with the graphtec- metal rollers on metal bearings and bearing holder to metal stand that screws to the metal base plate - never had an issue once I got the graphtec

• Like 2

I have a Graphtec,  never had a problem with static, or memory issues,,  never has my cutter just stopped cutting.  unless a user goof up. 

• Like 4

I run my SC with little problems. It took me sometime to get it dialed in right and now it runs like a champ with usb connection to a HP laptop with windows 7.. I turn my machine off after about 2 to 3 cuts depending on size of them.. 

• Like 1

I thought I'd update! :)  I called US Cutter and the tech e-mailed me a PDF that is a "super grounding guide."  We followed the instructions and ran a bunch of wires here to there on the machine, stand, etc. and got it all grounded up.  I also ordered the keyspan adaptor and got it running with that.  I went on vacation right after we did all this but before I left I had about a 75% success rate cutting out 24x36 sheets of names...so lots of detail.  Once it stopped mid-cut which was annoying as all heck but everything was better.

Since I've returned, I've now had an issue with SCALP recognizing the SC when I am using the keyspan.  Actually had to take it off to use the machine this AM.  Nothing changed while I was gone, other than my teens using my computer to try to print homework (and somehow messing up my connection with my wireless printer).

So now I'm in trouble-shooting mode with the keyspan.  I'd like to be able to keep using it...ack!

In good news, I just cut four 39" long designs with no issues.  On USB.  Huzzah!!