threezzz

Where to buy Aluminium oxide??

anyone have a good place to buy Aluminium oxide???... ebay is the best i have found... any hobby stores carry it? My blast cabinet will be here tomorrow, just need some material to use in it..!

Pardon the question but what do you use it for?  Just curious, when it comes to vinyl, cutters, or this related site.

One of the many other uses of vinyl cutters is the making of blast resist patterns to etch glass and other awesome things. Do a search on sandblasting here on the site and you will see some of the results. It was recently a big hit and quite a lot of us invested in budget blast cabinets and started etching. Ton's of fun!

• Like 1

tractor supply company have it?? looked on their website and doesnt come up... would be nice cause there is one by me....

I was sure I saw buckets of it there by the sandblasters where I was in there a while back

• Like 1

I have a bucket of it to put in my blaster when I empty the 4 year old sand out this spring - was looking as I think I will need more - what I have now I got from HF but TSC is much closer is why I was looking

• Like 1

Yep, got mine at TSC in a short cardboard barrel. While alum oxide may maintain it's abrasive quality forever, if you're like me you won't be able to resist using it for projects other than glass etching which could result in contamination by grease, paint, or who knows what (from my experience) . Just saying... it wouldn't hurt to buy enough to refill the cabinet at least one time while you're at it.

• Like 2

tractor supply company

That's where I get mine - just a couple of miles up the road from me...

• Like 1

My local Harbor Freight has big tubs of 70grit AO (20lbs i think?) black in color, and small jars of 220grit AO (2lbs) white in color. That's where I get mine. I have also heard that tractor supply has it but I haven't been in the stores to check first hand. I didn't see any on the website either, but I was told they do in store.

All these places are good and available but they also come in different grit sizes. If grit is a size that is. :) So it depends on who carries the grit you want. the higher the # the smaller the grit ( i think that is the way it goes. ) which results in smoothness of the etch . I HAVE NOT tested so i don't know the comparison but on the FB page i am on there is a wealth of info. One page = Etching with a blast cabinet, for those just using the air eraser- Air Erasing.

• Like 1

went to tractor supply and they do have the 80 grit aluminum oxide.... is that going to be to rough for glass etching??? I plan on using my scraps of oracal 651 vinyl for stencils.... dont know if the 80 grit will eat up the vinyl???  should use around 30 psi for etching???

went to tractor supply and they do have the 80 grit aluminum oxide.... is that going to be to rough for glass etching??? I plan on using my scraps of oracal 651 vinyl for stencils.... dont know if the 80 grit will eat up the vinyl???  should use around 30 psi for etching???

I'm using the 70 grit AO from Harbor Freight any 651 has been holding up great for me, even the small details.  I had problems with the vinyl blowing off until I lowered the pressure to around 40-45 psi.  I also found that paper app tape works great to mask large areas if you want to save on masking / painters tape

• Like 1

I just picked up 2-50# bags of 100grit AO from a glass designer for $25 each. He still has 5 bags left. Local pickup in West Palm Beach. Anyone near WPB, pm me for his phone number.

I use the 80/90 Silica Carbide grit from TSC and I prefer that for glass etching over the finer stuff.  It depends on whether you really want an etched look or a frosted look.  

• Like 1

I like to use 180 ao on my multi stage glass that I etch on the second surface and edge light but I use 120 sc on most of my other things that I do on the front like mugs. I found that the 180 ao gives me more time to etch the way I want the depth without tearing up the mask. In stone I always use 120 sc.

I just went and picked up some 70grit AO from Harbor Freight today, hopefully I find some time to try it out this week. I just have to clean all of the 220grit out of my cabinet.... which I am dreading to do.